Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SVPCL pre and Aggie DB728 a good match?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lo-end, Aug 31, 2004.

1. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    I'm going all-out pretty soon and buying a preamp and poweramp. I've heard good things about the new Ampeg SVP-CL preamp and how it's the exact preamp circuitry from the vintage SVTs. I've also heard rave reviews about the (expensive) Aguilar DB728 tube poweramp and how it gives you somewhat of an SVT sound. Unfortunately I don't really have the option of trying them out, but can anyone give me some idea of how they would sound? Also, if I cranked up either one of them would I be able to attain somewhat of an overdriven SVT tone?

Another question - a lot of people are saying the SVPCL preamp's output is too low for some power amplifiers. I know amps such as the QSC PLX series aren't sensitive enough to power the SVPCL effectively without some sort of mod. Would I encounter this problem if using the Aguilar? (paging the ampeg insider... ;) )

Thanks guyyyyys

2. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    I'd search Crest amps. I think you will find they are sensitive and in my opinion, the best amp for the money!

Best of luck with your search.

3. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    I appreciate the suggestion but I'm not looking into solid state amps. I've pretty much decided on the Aguilar.

4. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Aguilar makes a dandy pre amp or two.

5. Have you contacted Guitar Villa? I believe they stock Aguilar products. You might be able to try a DB728 before you take the plunge. There's a store in Bethlehem and one in Quakertown, neither of which are too far from Lower Gwynedd IIRC.

6. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    Curiously, I can't find an input sensitivity figure for the DB 728 in teh Aguilar website data, so I don't have a basis for a definite statement I can anly assume it is about 1V in for full power. That should be fine.

Even the lower power PLX are used by some TB folks with the SVP-CL and are fine. Some of the higher power PLX need about 2V for full power, and that is getting up there.

We did do a mod for one TB'r who I think is using a Stewart. I don't recall what the input sensitivity was on that unit.

I expect to have more info on boosting SVP-CL output fairly soon.

7. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    Just my own experience... used to have an SVP pro tube pre. I found that it sounded much better with a SS power amp than tube. Acknowledging it was a different pre, and a Boogie power amp, but it sounded too mushy and indistinct w/the tube power amp, much tighter and responsive with SS, though still capable of big fuzzy mush if I desired.

8. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    I just found this in the manual for the DB728:

Im not sure if that's the particular specification we're talking about (since it's in dBm and not volts) but it's the only thing I could find.

EDIT- I just googled a conversion table for dBm to volts and it said that 0 dBm = .225V. I'm not sure if I read the table right or if dBm can even be converted right into volts but I hope something I said in this post is of use to you.

9. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001

I have to agree a bit with you on the Tube amp verse Solid state. You get a cleaner and stronger push and throw with a SS verse Tube in my opinion. With a Tube preamp you can get all the warmth you want. Tuff to say if you could even tell them apart if I put both combinations side by side.

10. Fred Labbidie

Fred Labbidie Guest

Apr 22, 2004
    I agree that much of tone shaping happens in the preamp. However, I am very surprised that you think players could not tell the difference between a full tube rig and a one that is hybrid.
    Also, you contradict your first statement in which you say that SS amps have a different "push and throw"??? Do they sound the same? Or do they do just "push and throw" differently from tube amps ?

11. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    The 0 dBm should mean 0.775V, which would be fine for the SVP-CL as-is.

The spec probably should be quoted as "0 dBv", which is "voltage equivalent to 0 dBm in 600 ohms", but the usages have gotten crossed with time. dBm is technically a power measurement equal to 1 milliwatt.

12. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001

Sorry, it was meant to come out push (as in Volume being higher and cleaner) and the throw through the cabinet. Amps have a lot to do with the Throw, not just the cabinet!

I think a Kern and Crest CA series amp next to an Aguilar Tube rig would be pretty tuff to tell the difference between. This isn’t a slap in the face to anyone, its just my opinion!

13. Sorry - I have no experience with the Ampeg preamp so I can't impart any real wisdom there, but I can tell you that the DB680+DB728 are a match made in heaven. The sum is far greater than either of the parts.

Usually I'm in sync with Brian, but on this opinion we totally disagree. :oops: Personally I have a very easy time telling the difference between tube and solid state power amps, but YMMV.

14. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Oddio your suppose to always back me :D

I agree about the difference between amps, but I'm refering to when you plug into a Tube preamp in front of a Tube power amp or SS Power amp. I don't think the Power amp tone wise has as much effect as the quality of the amp and the power and solidness a SS tend to have, but this is more performance in my opinion.....

Low Volumes can you hear the difference between a Tune pre and SS amp verse a Tube Pre and Tube amp.... be a good test!!!!!!!!

We need to use the same pre and a CA Crest!!! :D

15. Ahh - sorry I missed that. Now that I understand your point we're a little closer to an accord. If you put a tube preamp in front of a SS power amp many folks would be hard-pressed to tell the difference.

Edit: I missed your question initially. At lower levels I would be less able to tell the difference between tube and SS personally, depending on the source. Fast transients are usually the first giveaway as the volume levels increase.

16. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    AAHHHHHH, great to hear. I was afraid we had had hit a bump, glad we are back in sync ;)

Sorry I wasn't as clear as I should have been!