Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Systemofadowner, May 20, 2002.

1. Systemofadowner

Feb 24, 2002
    I'm wondering who has ampegs best selling SVR3pro bass head and what you think about it. I'm definetly interested in buying it.
  2. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    SVR3 pro? never heard of it. The SVT 3 pro on the other hand is in my opinion is not that great compared to there other amps. the pre amps seems real mushy to me. I bought one and returned it for a B4r which I really like alot better.
  3. lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    I assume you mean the Ampeg SVT-3PRO. I like it but its kinda underpowered. Sounds great though.
  4. I will also add some unhappiness with the SVT3-Pro. Underpowered is probably the best description of it. 450 watts my butt .....

Sadly I still have mine as I cant afford to replace it at the moment. Hey, wanna buy it? heh.

I used to proclaim its positive side, so I am a disgruntled user. Your mileage may vary.

5. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I also think Ampeg might be overstating the wattage on the 3Pro's! I have one......nice tone, just not that loud:(
  6. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    cb56, what do you mean by mushy sound? I recently A/B'ed the B2R and the SVT3-PRO with an Ampeg 4x10 and MM Stingray and was surprised at so much "better" the SVT3 sounded than the B2R, set flat. Maybe "mushy" describes the kind of tone I like.
  7. Yeah it sucks at providing higher volumes, but it has a classic grind, great for midrange freaks... But I got bored with mine rather quickly and switched to SWR. I keep the SVT for recording, but I wouldn't take it on a gig with me.
  8. Gman

Jan 4, 2000
    Indianapolis, IN
    I returned mine as well. Went to a G-K 1001RB. Very happy with it. The Ampeg was too gritty for my taste. You can always use a pedal for grind, but you can't reverse that to get a clean sound out of a dirty amp.

From what I've read, and experienced, the SVT3-PRO starts doing funny things when ran at 4 ohms. Volume drop, gritty tone. Have found that what sounds good in the music store, may turn to mud in a band environment. What sounds too middy for my taste in the music store (G-K), sounds great with the band.

When I traded mine in at GC, they threw it on top of 3 more they had used.:eek: Not a good sign.

9. Well I dunno what you mean by "gritty", but if you mean that Ampeg growl, hell, thats the best part! I have no problem with the heads tone, its the volume that bothers me. But, to each our own ... oh wait, I'm trying to not like this thing .... hmmmm.

10. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

My SVT3Pro doesn't make me want to ditch my rack rig (which cost over three times as much money) but it's a great light rig for rehearsals, jams, backup. I've heard a lot of complaints about the SVT3Pro's lack of power, but my #2 band rehearses LOUD and my 3Pro keeps up just fine even through a single 8-ohm cabinet.

When I was considering my backup amp, I A/B'd the SVT3Pro against the SWR Bass350 (similar price/features) and chose the Ampeg based on the following:

1) the gritty Ampeg tone (if you want hi-fi, I recommend SWR)
    2) the fact that the SVT3Pro puts its full power into 4 ohms where the Bass350 puts its full power into 2 ohms.

The only negative I've found to the SVT3Pro is that it sometimes pops and crackles. I've been told that this will disappear if I replace the OEM tubes, but it hasn't been bad enough for me to want to do so (as mentioned I use the Ampeg for rehearsal and my rack rig for gigs).
  11. well, uh, whats in your "rack rig?" I mean, my SVTIIIPro lives in a rack :)

12. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    I agree with Fuzzbass. I have an SVT3-Pro and it sounds great and is plenty loud. I am playing through a friends 1X15 8ohm Aggie in my current band and volume or tone are never a concern. The drummer is VERY loud (go figure) and the guitarist is playing through a 5150 head and 4x12 cab. I have heard the negative things about this amp, maybe I'm just lucky (knocks on wood).
  13. submelodic

Feb 7, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Like others have said, I too found it underpowered, although the tone is great for rock. I replaced it with separate power and preamps. In fact, if you're still interested despite the negative press, I have it listed in the Classifieds section.

Price is negotiable.:)
  14. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    ditto on underpowered.

switched to power/pre.

for the ~same $ i prefer:

eden wt400

in no particular order

for the $ though (~550) i really like the ampeg b2.
  15. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    The problem I had with the SVT3 pro wasn't with power but tone. When I played it through any 4 ohm cab or 2 8 0hm cabs the tone had a distortion to it that I could not get rid of. Not a loud distortion but just enough to ruin the tone IMO. I tried everything as far as using the gain at a lower level and turning the tube drive all the way up and/or down. This really seemed to make the attack of each note real mushy. especially anything below a low G. To me that is not what I call the Ampeg growl. Anyway after trying 2 different SVT3 pros I fainally decided to trade it in on a B4r which is a solid state Ampeg. It gives me a clean attack on everynote and still growls. It also has a tube emulator that is called "texture" that will give me that slight distortion when I want it. I'm not saying the SVT3 pro is bad, I'm just saying I was very dissapointed in it. Someone else might like it's tone. It's just not for me.