1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SVT 15E

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tony_sandun, Apr 27, 2006.

1. Tony_sandun

Tony_sandun

Apr 27, 2006
    Hi,

I have to buy a new cab and I am considering an Ampeg SVT 15E.

My question is: can I play with this cab alone ?
    I am talking about getting a good sound - not about power output...

I am a bit worried that a 15" speaker on its own (the SVT15E does not have a tweeter) would render a sound too obscure, soft, lacking punch and/or clarity etc...

Am I right to worry ?
    Should I add another cab with either 10" or 12" speakers in it (and maybe a tweeter too) ?

Thanks for your opinions.

Tony

2. Actually the SVT15E is amazingly punchy for a 15 inch cab.
    I love mine to death.

I used to play with just that cab alone, but I added an SVT210HE cab to the mix about a year ago and have fallen in love with this setup. I get so many damn complements on my tone from other bass players it's not even funny.

So...I love this cab, but you might not. Ampegs are not for everyone.

Try one before you buy it though.

3. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    +1

My rig was a Thunderfunk TFB-420 through an Ampeg 6x10HLF. Sounded killer about 15 feet away. For practice (where I am about 5 foot from my rig at most) the sound would blow right by me and I couldn't hear it as well as I would like.

I picked up a Classic 15EN for practice and smaller gigs and the tone is just better IMO. Plus, the single cab does pretty well on its own.

Put it this way, it has the fatness of a B100R, but is deeper and wider in tone.

4. I'm currently jammin with some guys for my first time using a Sovtek 100watt tube head and jsut a Trace Elliot 1518T with no tweeter. However i do use a very bright/growly bass with steel roundwounds, gives me a nice warm round tone with enough definition.

5. X Wolf

X Wolf Guest

+1...the SVT15E is a really full and punchy single 15.