1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SVT 2 (non-pro) vs. Mesa Big Block 750

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Risen Ashes, May 6, 2006.

1. So I'm in the market for a new head to Roid up my tone and bring some power to my life...

I want clean powerful classic rock tone but also I want to be able to get the Hard rock/metal sound of a strong overdrive, i want to know if the SVT can deliver because I know the Mesa can give me the overdrive.

Ampeg SVT 2 (non-pro)

Pros: Lots of positive feedback on forums, sounds great( I liked what i heard, when i tried it out myself today)- very powerful and has balls. I don't care that it weighs 85 lbs.

Cons: It is used, I may have to change the tubes. I can't find too much info from Ampeg on the SVT 2 because it is discontinued.

Mesa Boogie Big Block 750

Pros: I'd get a new head instead of a used 1, with a 5 year warranty. It has good tone, power and beautiful overdrive. Tube pre-amp. It is straight-forward and easy to understand. Also has balls.

Cons: It doesn't give me the classic SVT tone and will cost me more because it is new (and will take lots of saving up).

If I want overdrive from the SVT Can i get it with a pedal or some other means?

2. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    The 400+ is more comparable to the SVT-II. I don't dislike Mesa's hybrid stuff, but its not my favorite. The 400+ is awesome though, as is the II. Try both and get the one you think sounds best.

3. Thats the best way, i wouldnt say having to change the tubes is a con, Its a tube amp thing, the ones in mine needed replacing, but after 16 years of being a rented out, well gigged and even used at all day (big) festivals (V2004),if you PM me your email address i can send you the manual for the SVT-II (ive already replied to your PM)

4. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Roselle, IL
    The SVT 2 (first one is disconinuted), I own the newer version, SVT 2 PRO. You can get the overdrive you crave from other effect pedal and processors. The one trick to getting a good overdrive tone is to separate the sounds. Have you big rig put out the solid and low bass tone, while a smaller speaker puts out only the distorted tone with no low end.

I heard the SVT 2 is a lot warmer sounding than the PRO version, but I went for something newer and I am a lot happier with it. Plus, many musicians I like were using the newer SVT 2 PRO for touring and I just had to have their tone!

On the 2 PRO there are 5 x 12ax7's, 3 x 12Au7's, 6 x 6550's.
    The 12ax7 and au7 run around $12 each and 6550 power tubes run $60 each if you buy from Groove Tubes. ($96 + 360+ installation = Right around $500. Yikes! Worth it? oh yes...

Ampeg is THE ROCK SOUND! The Mesa would be easier to maintain though. You can't really go wrong with either.

5. Thanks for the input guys, I appreciate it-yeah I know someone with a 400+ I'm gonna check that out...gearhead thanks for the overdrive info.

6. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    The overdrive you get from pedals is nowhere near the rich satuation that you get from power tubes, usually not even close even with a small tube in it. And retube cost for either the 2 or 400+ do not run anywhere near $500, my 400+ which costs more to retube (12 power tubes as opposed to 6) costs around $250-300.

7. There was no SVT-I, there was the original "SVT" (what is closest to comparable to the SVT-CL) if thats what your getting at

The SVT-II is also discontinued as it was replaced with the 2Pro

The original has a 12AX7 and 12AU7 less than the Pro, but more tubes doesnt mean better, the SVT-II IME is a much fuller sounding amp than the 2Pro and CL and sounds very close to the original SVT

To get the best overdrive you dont use a pedal, you drive the power tubes hard! Thats the best part of having an all tube amp!

And retubing, i would recommend JJ tubes, $8 for a 12AX7 or 12AU7, $10 for balanced 12AX7's and 12AU7's (better to use them in the driver section) and $207 for a matched sextet of KT-88's, comes to $261 for an SVT-II or $277 for a 2Pro (which is only about £140 to me which is damned cheap :D [tubes in the UK, like most musical equipment, are pretty expensive] ) And throw in $30-$50 for bench time to get your power tubes bias'd and your set (you can stick in the pre and driver tubes yourself)

Im still all for the SVT-II, or, like said higher in the thread a Mesa 400 or 400+, and if you take care of a tube amp it wont be much, if any harder to maintain

8. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Roselle, IL
    Retubing an SVT 2 PRO: I guess Groove Tubes are overpriced! What is the main difference between the 6550's versus the KT 88's?? Also, does a different brand of tubes in the Preamp change the sound of the amp? Was it a fuller sound? I really like the sound of the amp now, but if new tubes can get it to sound warmer, growlier, punchier, and meaner, then life is good! I don't want my Tube amp to sound thinner or lose its growlyness.

9. Tubes will make a noticable difference, just not a very noticable one IMO, the most important thing is that they are reliable

KT-88's usually stay a bit cleaner and clearer than 6550's and are usually a bit tighter sounding

I currently have JJ's in the pre, and got higher gain 12AX7's so its got a bit more of a growly edge to it, the sovtecks i have in the power section will probably get replaced when possible because i dont feel they are reliable (damned internet!)

10. cetera

cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    If you want reliability, power and an SVT-like tone don't forget to check out the Tech21 Landmark 600 Head. Growling tone to die for plus so much more..... :bassist:

11. It comes close, but isnt the real thing, and anyway the SVT-II's are reliable as hell :D

12. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    What about an Ashdown ABM500 or an Aguilar AG500? Those might be worth considering as well, they have qualities similar to what you're looking for.

13. Thanks again for all the feedback, helped a lot.