Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SVT-2 PRO and SVT 610 HLF or other...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by one3rd, Oct 6, 2002.

1. one3rd

one3rd

Jul 10, 2002
    Minnesota
    I'm looking to buy a new amp rig (price being no object although I have next to no money). All tube is preferable and I want to be able to get a thick and heavy but clean tone while picking or fingering for metal as well as a good hightreble&bass picking tone for rock/punk. The combination that I'm currently considering is an Ampeg SVT2-PRO with either an SVT-610HLF or SVT-810HE although I'm leaning toward the 610. If you have a better suggestion, please post.

2. Sounds good to me.

3. Better start working out then. Everything you've mentioned is way heavy, and that's about the only down side. Components wise, I've heard similar setups...and they rockatola.

4. MarkW

MarkW

Oct 31, 2000
    Austin,Tx
    thats a nice sounding rig..if you can afford it, get a rack case with wheels for the amp and a roadcase for the cabinet..it will make it infinitely more easier to move around..I have an 8x10 in a roadcase with wheels and its much easier to move around then trying to lug my old 4x10s with no wheels..

5. erikwhitton

erikwhitton Guest

Sep 20, 2002
    Portland, ME USA
    i have the 6x10 hlf. moving it around is not too bad - it has wheels and a nice towel bar. except for stairs - i can get it around by myself.

the sound is great so far - but i have only had it for a few weeks.

playing my first gig friday night with it. i am sure it is going to kill.

i have never played the svt 2- i have an svt 3 pro. it is not too big or heavy. 450 watts, lots of tube. it's very popular amp and i can see why.

-erik

6. Sounds like a salesman's conundrum.
    If you're sure about Ampeg then the IIPro is probably the best choice to get the versatility required to satisify all your needs. I used to have one and many different tones could be dialed-in.
    Get the 810 and a numbskull to carry it.;)

7. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    The SVT II PRO is an AWESOME head. The only downside (as stated earlier) is that it's REALLY HEAVY & even when it's in a Rack case, it's not balanced very well. I have one & used it with an 810 for a while but I liked the sound of my SVT 410 HLF so I sold the SVT 810. I tried a coulpe of SVT 610HLF's & I liked them alot, also.

I think the SVT II & SVT 610 will be a great combo.

Good luck,
    Nino