1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SVT 2-Pro "coming out of standby" issue

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by eastcoasteddie, Apr 10, 2010.

1. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    Well, not sure if it is an issue or not, but...

My 2-pro is an '06 SLM unit. When it is first powered up, it is in an automatic standby whether the standby switch is on or not. After 20 seconds it comes out of auto-standby, you can hear a slight "click" come from within the amp.

Now here is where the issue is. I keep it in manual standby via the switch when I power it up, and I put it in standby before powering it off. I hit the standby switch after I hear the auto standby click.

Now when I hit the switch, I started noticing a weird smell come out of the amp for a second or 2 and it clears up. Doesn't smell like burning plastics, it's just a weird smell that I'm not familiar with. It's been happening more often lately. I removed both the top & bottom panels and didn't see anything burned or discoloured and I don't smell anything burned either (with the amp off and unplugged...yes I am careful).

Is this a normal thing as dust starts to accumulate inside the amp? or is it a warning sign of a future major problem?

2. Sorry - Tech Time!

Get it to a tech and have him check it out. Could be arcing on the switch and relay contacts.

Paul