1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SVT 2-PRO I think I might be in love

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bob Rock, Jan 4, 2012.

1. Bob Rock

Bob Rock

Dec 30, 2009
    I went to one of the local music stores this weekend. They had a SVT2-PRO sitting on a Classic 610 Cab. Always been curious so I tried her out. First impression was it sounds like a bass amp nothing special. I started playing with the knobs, turns out this amp is very versatile with the tones, i like. Then came the Drive knob. First letÂ’s get one think clear. I believe distortion belongs on a guitar not a bass, no offence to anyone. Well turning the drive knob up from 9am to noon really added some attitude and bite/edge to the sound and it still sounded clean. I went to being very impressed rite away.

Should I invest? My Mark Bass rig would have to go.

What to do??

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Follow your heart, dude.

3. suraci

suraci

Apr 11, 2005
    Tough one, cause it isn't on the BANDSTAND, where things are different

4. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Not to hop on your thread and steal the show here, but would anyone recommend making the transition from the Ampeg SVT-CL to the SVT2 or Pro2?

5. slapstick13

slapstick13

Feb 5, 2010
    Just for a refrence point. I had the 2 pro for about 3 years. Played in bands 3 practices a week, handful of shows a month. Had to retube the amp 3 times in 3 years! at $300 each time! Obviously tube repairs depend on how many hours you put on the tubes, but just giving you something to think about. And of course my tubes crapped out when I happened to be broke. Also, the amp is a beast to carry around, plus you will probably put it in a rack and its just brutal to carry around. BUT if i had good income/ roadies it is THE amp I would use;)

6. slapstick13

slapstick13

Feb 5, 2010
    Oh, also, I switched to the orange terror bass 500 and despite my 1st unit being defective(which they promptly sent me a new one) the amp is really holding its own and Im very happy with it.

7. Go for it! Hard to beat the SVT in which ever form it takes- CL, VR, II,II PRO. They're ALL monster amps that will do you until you can't lift 'em anymore.
    I had a II non-pro model, never had one problem & it ALWAYS delivered.

8. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    If you think the drive and the 10 band do something for you that you need, or if you want it in a rack, then yes, otherwise I'd just keep the CL.

9. skychief

skychief

Apr 27, 2011
    South Bay
    Yup, Those are my 2 peeves about the SVT 2 pro. ^^^^^^

Tube life is a wee bit less than what i would hope for, and if ya dont have roadies, you're in for some major back pain until you figure out the proper method of lifting the thing.

Thats the price we pay for that legendary Ampeg tone.

10. suraci

suraci

Apr 11, 2005
    How does the 2 Pro compare sound and weight wise to the SVT CL?
    that head is about 85 pounds

Is it similar to the svt 4 pro?? Which is half the weight of my SVT CL.

11. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Other than the drive knob and the graphic EQ, the 2 Pro might as well be the CL as far as I'm concerned. Not similar to the 4 Pro at all...2 Pro is all tube. And yes, it's heavy, too.

12. Check the Ampeg.com page. Iirc the 2 pro is pretty similar in weight to the CL.
    As Jimmy says, if u don't need a graphic eq & overdrive control, the CL will do nicely.
    But as the op states, the drive control does add a nice touch & horses for courses. :D

13. jmattbassplaya

Jan 13, 2008
    The Pro2 is about 70lbs, so you'll be saving 10-15lbs. Probably not a huge difference at that weight point.

14. Smooth_bass88

Smooth_bass88 Groove it

I've been using my 2-PRO for the better part of 6 years, and with the same set of tubes for the first 4 & a half. I didn't start running into problems until I re-tubed it...bad tubes, twice in the last year.

Well worth it though. The tone is nothing short of glorious. 100% tube bliss. If you can snag a 2-PRO (or SVT-CL for that matter) for cheap $$, go for it.

15. jmattbassplaya

Jan 13, 2008
    Does anyone know how many rack units it takes up? I haven't been able to find any specifics on it.

16. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

I have owned both recently and The CL is heavier but easier to carry IME. Unless the II-Pro is in a rack, it is a pig to lug around by the rack handles.

17. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL

18. jmattbassplaya

Jan 13, 2008

19. jmattbassplaya

Jan 13, 2008
    Very true. And you have to figure the rack is going to add at least another 30lbs, soooooooo lol.

20. I have the SVT-2PRO (from around 1996) and it is simply heaven. I've played rack systems with 1800 watt amps, small 500 watt micro heads & other heads in between. The Ampeg makes me a happy camper. ;)

I picked up my SVT2PRO used and on the first gig plugged into a Berg NV610 I was just astounded at the girth, grind, and sheer presence of the amp. I've played the SVT-CL & VR at GC (which isn't the proper place to try an amp) and my personal preference was the 2PRO because I do have a use for the graphic EQ.

It is very heavy though and it can get old very quickly depending on your # of gigs.