Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SVT-2 Pro Problem

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassBoyLeroy, Aug 20, 2003.

1. So I recently got my ultimate rig (at least to me... :D) An SVT-2 Pro w/ an Avatar 210 and 212. But since I got the SVT, I've been having problems with it cutting in and out. When I turn it on, it makes a sort of muffled pop towards the back of the amp. Also, while I'm playing, the sound cuts in and out. However, this problem seems to dissapear when the tubes warm up. It also seems to dissapear (temporarily) when I hit the back of the amp on the top. Do any of you in TB land have any idea what could be wrong? HELP!

Thanks,
    Pat

2. That's a nice amp! A real Heavyweight Tube Monster. Whenever I get a nice amp like that the first thing I do is take it to a qualified tech to be thoroughly checked out. Used amps (you did not mention if yours is used) almost always have NOT been maintained. It's human nature to neglect, neglect, neglect.

Your amp's problem sounds like it may be something easy and cheap to fix. Have it gone thru by a tech.

3. I bought it NOS (as far as I believe) from GC. I'll definitely go get it checked out. Any ideas as to what could be wrong?

4. A warranty repair is in order. Anything you do yourself is going to void your warranty. It sounds like bad solder connections, FWIW, and should be a pretty fast and simple fix for SLM's warranty guys. GC should be able to direct you to the nearest service center and it shouldn't cost you a thing.

5. As far as I know, I'm not under warranty as I didn't receive anything other than the amp itself. How much (roughly) will getting the amp checked out and/or repaired normally cost?

6. Your sales receipt is your evidence of warranty and is good for 5 years (except tubes), I think.

If it was at a GC I'd definitely have it checked out even if it was not malfunctioning ;).

Outside of the warranty, I'd say around $50.

Also, check Ampeg's website for details on the warranty thing.

7. Heh, thanks for the advice King, I'll make sure and get it checked out.

Pat

8. monkfill

monkfill

Jan 1, 2003
    Kansas City
    I'm under the impression you don't even need your receipt for Ampeg warranty work, that they have all that information on file. (Basically, since the warranty is transferrable, all they need to have on file is the serial number and the date it originally sold.)

9. Maybe not but because I've seen new amps as old as '97s for sale in stores this year I wouldn't assume that Ampeg or the dealer will automatically honor the warranty without proof of date of purchase.

If a problem arises right away, they'd remember. But what about 3 or 4 years down the road?

10. That's the situation I'm in. My SVT-2 Pro has the old face with the colors as opposed to grey and black. When did they change the face? Anyone know?

11. The faces certainly had changed by 2001 and possibly as early as 2000.

Look at your S/N. Go to the 5th letter. Tell me what it is and I'll tell you how old she is.