1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SVT 2 pro vs Bassman 300 pro

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by joeypistol, Sep 24, 2008.

1. joeypistol

joeypistol

Aug 5, 2008
    WA
    so if money wasnt an issue what one would you pick and why? has anyone ever played both of them

Ampeg SVT 2 pro
    RMS Power Output (4 Ohms): 300-Watts
    RMS Power Output (2 Ohms): 300-Watts
    Preamp: Tubes (4 x 12AX7, 1 x 12AU7)
    Driver Tubes: 1 x 12AX7, 2 x 12AU7
    Power Amp: Tubes (6 x 6550)
    Tone Controls: 3-Band
    Mid Tone Control: 5-Position
    Graphic EQ: Yes, 9-Band
    Ultra Low/High Boosts: Yes
    Balanced Line Out: Yes, Pre/Post (transformer)
    Effects Loop: Yes
    Preamp Out/Power Amp In: Yes
    Slave Out: Yes
    Dimensions (W x H x D inches): 19 x 7.5 x 15.75
    Weight: 70 Pounds

The Bassman 300 PRO captures the ALL TUBE vibe and mixes it up with modern features. Six 6550 power tubes deliver a world tour ready 300 watts (into 2, 4, or 8 Ohms) guaranteed to move some serious air!

Pre-amp Specs:

• Two 12AX7 preamp tubes
    • Two channels (clean and dirty with Blend)
    • 10-band graphic EQ with On/Off switch
    • Low and High frequency boost switches
    • Mid-Notch switch (great for slap-style playing)
    • Line Out switch (for selecting pre or post EQ)
    • Two band Compressor with EQ balance and Gain trim
    • FX Loop
    • Power Amp Pass-Through output jack (for chaining multiple units together)
    • Balanced XLR and 1/4” output jacks (post EQ & Effects Loop)
    • Tuner Out jack with Mute switch
    • Three-Function footswitch

2. MN_Bass

MN_Bass Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2008
    Minnesota
    Owned both, if you could get the Pro 2, the bassman has more bells and whistles but tone wise the ampeg has it beat. Both are real back breakers, but you have to sacrifice I guess.. Then you can have the one is made in america and one is made in vietnam debate:)

3. joeypistol

joeypistol

Aug 5, 2008
    WA
    i have been reading that the svt 2 and all ampegs have only one tone.. a rock/ pop tone? can a fatty bottom end like the svt tone come through on the bassman or is it lacking in the bottom end.

4. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Roselle, IL
    SVT 2 PRO is a decent amp and has a really good rock tone ready to go out of the box. It has some variety to the tones, but it has that distinct Ampeg colored tone to it. What amp doesn't though? It's stilla good amp though, but I got rid of mine because I wanted the sound of my bass to come through more and have more headroom.

I have not tried the Fender Bassman 300, but for my money, buying a used Mesa 400+ was the best move I ever made. It is clean and defined while being punchy and growly when I want it to be. Very versatile tone wise.

Try these heads out - you won't know what works for you until you do.

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The Bassman's a real nice amp. But if you want a man's tone, get an Ampeg ;)

6. I owned a 300PRO-great amp. Can do the Ampeg tone, but U have to fiddle with the controls. It IS versatile & handy doin the 8/4/2 ohms, The Bassman IS more versatile, & CAN do the tones, but IF U want he Ampeg tone -get that. If U want more available options- 300PRO IMO. I wanted the Ampeg sound so I found I was always sculpting the Bassman to sound the ONE way-like an Ampeg. So I sold it & got an SVT!
    UP to U!!