1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SVT 2 pro??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by oldironsights, Mar 12, 2009.

1. oldironsights

oldironsights

Jun 13, 2008
    LAS VEGAS
    I currently have the svt 4pro and really enjoy it. I do want to get an all tube head though and this seems to be one im pretty interested in. I love the fact that it has a graphic EQ. I dont know of many other tube heads that have that feature. Any comments on this and or other amps??? It has a steep price tag which is the biggest downfall.

2. Myth_103

Myth_103 Supporting Member

That is a great sounding amp. It is crazy heavy and crazy loud! I think it's worth it though. Also, if you're looking for an all-tube with an EQ, you could check out the Mesa 400+. Those seem to have TONS of praise around here. I'm sure you could find a good used one for a lot cheaper than a new SVT-II Pro, too.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    2 Pros are quite the bargain on the used market. Usually not much more than $800 in good condition.

4. MotorTed

MotorTed

Apr 16, 2006
    CT, USA
    I have both a 2 pro and a 400+. The 2 pro weighs 70lbs. The 400+ I believe is 45 lbs. If the 400+ could sound as good IMHO as the Ampeg, I'd use that instead. YMMV. I thought the 400+ sounded good when I gigged with it twice but I was told by different people the 2 Pro sounded better through the same 810e with the same basses.

5. wallybill

wallybill

Apr 4, 2007
    Tuscola, Il.
    I love mine - but it's one of the last ones made in the U.S. of A. I agree with the used market suggestion.

6. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    I have been down this road, currently run a Mesa 400+ into Bergantino NV cabs, and used to own an SVT2 for many touring years so can speak from experience. I am also on the lookout for another SVT, not to replace the Mesa but for another tonal option. So here's my .02. 1) The weight difference is considerable and despite what others say on this forum counts strongly in the Mesa's favour, especially where you have long loadins, stairs etc. 2) The Mesa does not sound "worse" than the SVT, but it does take some getting used to to use the tone conrols effectively. It does clean way better than the Ampeg and also has a very gritty overdrive. In many situations I prefer the mesa 400+. 3) However nothing, but nothing, sounds like the Ampeg when you want THAT tone. The Ampeg is user friendly, grunty, a rock beast but IME only does the Ampeg sound. In my (loud) blues band the other guys preferred the Mesa. I think if I could only have one or the other I would choose the Mesa. But I am currently looking for a USA SVT. Go figure.

7. oldironsights

oldironsights

Jun 13, 2008
    LAS VEGAS
    Sounds good Tim, thanks for the insight. Does the u.s.a. svt 2pro say it was made in the u.s.a. on the chasis somewhere???

8. svtscruggs

svtscruggs

Mar 18, 2006
    nashville, tn
    Endorsing Artist: Ampeg Amps, Fender and Music Man basses
    yes...on the back...get a slm one...i have one...solid...sounds amazing...get one you wont be sorry!

9. MotorTed

MotorTed

Apr 16, 2006
    CT, USA
    +1 to what JimmyM said. You can get the SVT-CL tone plus other good sounds, yet you find 2 Pros for about the same price used.

I'm begining to think that THAT Ampeg sound = Heavy transformers. In 40 Years if some brilliant electrical engineer could have made the SAME sound as the original SVT in a light weight amp, they would have by now. I'm still waiting.