Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

svt 2 vs. ampeg pre vs. tube screamer

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thelastofus, Oct 4, 2002.

1. thelastofus

thelastofus Guest

Jul 3, 2002
    Bakersfield, Ca
    As a lot of you (or those who read my posts already) may know I have a 400+ and want to get a good grindy growl that seems like only come from Ampegs. I've been considering three things. Try a tube screamer to add a hint to it. Get a new pre-amp entirely a billy sheenan or whatever other ampeg has (still just considering), or... the other day i was at a music store and they have an older svt 2 head (i think it's from the 80's, the ugly ones with this bubbly writing and white eq knobs) it sounded pretty good but i'm wondering if this would be a stupid move. Any owners of both? I'm also wondering when did SLM take over ampeg? I've heard nothing but lesser things from then since then and I was wondering if this was maybe still an authentic. Or any other input or comments anyone has...thanks again seeing how this is my fiftieth post on virtually the same topic but i'm still stuck.