Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Svt-2 vs. Svt-5

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by funkedupbass, Jul 12, 2005.

1. I've decided that I want a new amp. I'm pretty sure it's down to an svt-2 or the svt.5. I'll be using their preamps and a crown poweramp. So the svp-pro or svp-bsp would be their peamp sections. I wondering which of those you'd recommend or own. I've decided on the 2 mainly beacause of the overdrive feature. But I want this amp to be versitile as well, so I won't be playing full out distortion 24/7. I played an older svt 2 and I enjoyed it, and the last time I played an svt-5 was about 5 years ago, and I can't seem to find one around that I can play here in portland,or. How does it's clean channel sound?
    Any advice or recomendations?
    thanks,
    -eric

2. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    As I recall, the 5 was introduced in '01. Somebody correct me if I'm off on that. ;)

3. maybe 4 years ago....long enough to remember I liked it and forget why.

4. So, is it really down to what preamp you should get, not which of those amps?

Because the SVT -2 ( i assume you mean the pro, any, both are all tube) is all tube, and the SVT-5 is solid state

If its down to the preamp's ive heard the SVP-CL is a great pre, same circuit as the 70's SVT, not the same into a SS power section tho

5. JPrisus

JPrisus

Jun 8, 2005
    I like my SVP-Pro better than the SVP-BS, tried them both side-to-side and chose the Pro. I like OD/dist, but not from the BS! Haven't heard the CL yet though, supposed to be cool.