1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Svt-2 vs. Svt-5

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by funkedupbass, Jul 12, 2005.

1. I've decided that I want a new amp. I'm pretty sure it's down to an svt-2 or the svt.5. I'll be using their preamps and a crown poweramp. So the svp-pro or svp-bsp would be their peamp sections. I wondering which of those you'd recommend or own. I've decided on the 2 mainly beacause of the overdrive feature. But I want this amp to be versitile as well, so I won't be playing full out distortion 24/7. I played an older svt 2 and I enjoyed it, and the last time I played an svt-5 was about 5 years ago, and I can't seem to find one around that I can play here in portland,or. How does it's clean channel sound?
    Any advice or recomendations?
    thanks,
    -eric

2. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    As I recall, the 5 was introduced in '01. Somebody correct me if I'm off on that. ;)

3. maybe 4 years ago....long enough to remember I liked it and forget why.

4. So, is it really down to what preamp you should get, not which of those amps?

Because the SVT -2 ( i assume you mean the pro, any, both are all tube) is all tube, and the SVT-5 is solid state

If its down to the preamp's ive heard the SVP-CL is a great pre, same circuit as the 70's SVT, not the same into a SS power section tho

5. JPrisus

JPrisus

Jun 8, 2005
    I like my SVP-Pro better than the SVP-BS, tried them both side-to-side and chose the Pro. I like OD/dist, but not from the BS! Haven't heard the CL yet though, supposed to be cool.