Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SVT 200-T

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by davelowell, Dec 27, 2003.

1. davelowell

davelowell

Jan 18, 2001
    stl, mo
    i just picked one up as a backup for my Maggie SVT for $240. anyway, i was wondering about the date of it.

the ampeg book has a code system totally different than the code on the serial number box.

the serial is 20H-xxxx

what the?

any help is appreciated!

dave

---edit---

it's like this, but with a blue strip on the control panel, and a big orange light on the front.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2368238919&category=43372

2. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Does it say St. Louis music on the back? that will give you a hint. I think they were made in the late eighties early nineties. Got mine in '92. Nice warm sounding solid state amp. Pull out the ultra low and get ready to RUMBLE!!!:bassist:

3. davelowell

davelowell

Jan 18, 2001
    stl, mo
    >>>>>Does it say St. Louis music on the back?

Yes. But a different serial code number system. Just curious if anyone knew.

4. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    check with Ampeg Insider on this board. He works there and can help you out with the serial #

5. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    BTW my seriel # is
    TKHDDxxxxx
    so yeah that's kinda different.

6. This one is a '92.

7. davelowell

davelowell

Jan 18, 2001
    stl, mo
    So i saw another SVT-200T for slae locally and it has the same serial number scheme, 20H-xxxx! $150 more than i paid, btw!

Does anybody have any ideas?

Ampeg insider? Are you there?

dave

8. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    The SVT-200T is an SLM product.

The serial number makes that one pretty early, likely around 1988 or so. The serial number format was later changed to the type you were expecting. The new one gives the year and month of production, and has a bunch of other stuff encoded in it also. The old serial just showed the type and sequence number.

The 20H as I recall indicates its a 200TH head version. Your ebay ad reference suggests you have the head version. Both head and combo were made.

I asked service if they can narrow down the date of the serial changeover, but haven't heard back yet.

9. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    According to the Service Dept records, that unit was produced between 1989 and 1994.

10. davelowell

davelowell

Jan 18, 2001
    stl, mo
  11. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    THAT one is old....IIRC the blue strip was on the first ones. Also on SS-35 and SS-140 guitar amps from the same general time period.

12. Mississippi Al

Mississippi Al

Feb 17, 2006
    If your SVT-200 has the blue stripe, its what's referred to as the 1987 model. The first run, the later models came with more familiar graphics, that and some power rating conflicts are the only differences. Great amp and it sounds like you scored a deal. I have performed extensively with these rigs and they sound good and are very reliable

13. davelowell2

davelowell2 Uhh... FaFaFooey is BaBaBooey...

Apr 20, 2006
    NYC via StL
    Thanks, yes blue strip on the front. Still hangin in there as my backup.