Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SVT 2P & HA5000??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dutch, Feb 28, 2002.

1. Hi Guys (and girls of course!),

Is it possible (and does it make sense) to use an HA5000 just as a power amp and use an Ampeg SVT2P as a pre-amp instead of the built in Hartke pre-amp. And if so, what is the effect on the sound, since the Ampeg is an all tube pre-amp while the Hartke pre-amp has only one tube.

Thanx

2. Ncognito

Ncognito Banned Commercial User

Jan 8, 2002
    Hoffman Estates, Illinois
    Owner, Xsonics Bass Cabinets
    Hi Dutch

You've got another dutchman here!

I've owned about every preamp out there (Kern, SWR Grand Prix, Alembic, Peavey, Ampeg SVP-Pro), and the Ampeg SVT-II Preamp is still my hands down favorite. I like the power section of the Hartke, but not the preamp. Your idea to use the Ampeg as a preamp to the Hartke power section is a very good idea!

Good luck.

Nick Reijmer

3. Ok, now another question: How do I need to connect the SVT-IIP (just use the effect send / return?) and how can I (and do I need to?) bypasss the built in pre-amp?

P.S. There sure are a lot of dutchmen around here!!

4. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    wow thats weird i just got rid of my svt2 p and i thought i was the only one alive with one. i had a serious problem with the low end gettin too muddy and my mids just dissapearing with that pre. other than that i loved it. you might be better off dumping the hartke and gettin a power amp. i think you'll be happier.

5. Well, I was too late for the SVT-2P, somebody beat me to it! They seem to be pretty rare so I guess I'll just have to stick with the HA5000 for now.

But thanx for the advice!!