1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SVT-2PRO Amp Trouble

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by themothership, Dec 13, 2011.

1. themothership

themothership

Dec 13, 2011
    Hi, just looking for some advice before i take my amp(see subject) to the shop. I'm getting a fault light each time I turn it on and I'm a bit boggled. I've worked on my amps before and know how to check power tubes and pre-amp tubes and they all seem good to go. Theres a very quiet "pop" sound when i turn it on.

Things i've checked:

-OHM rating is fine (4), going to an 8x10 Ampeg cab (dual-cab mode).

-Bias was set and all the tubes were balanced about a year ago.

-Power Cable and Speaker Cable are in good working condition.

-Fan works.

I'm wondering about the way my Gain, Drive, and Master are set. I keep my Gain at about 3 or 4, because i run a pretty hot input. My drive is usually set at about 5 and i keep the master at about 7 or 8. Am i running the master too hot for the tubes? Is it possible that the capacitor is blown? The amp feels pretty warm, but at about the same heat that i've felt it before. Not sure what else besides that....

Any Help Is Appreciated!! thx!

2. All sounds ok to me???
    Goodluck & a 'bump' for ya.

3. Bassoballs

Bassoballs

Nov 14, 2009
    Mid Michigan
    My 2-pro did this a few times. Sounds crazy, but the spring retainers were etching into the 6550's and causing a small crack to occur. Once the crack developed the tube would fail. Upon startup the "pop" was the voltage arcing in the failed tube. The amp would then go into fault mode. I ended up removing the spring retainers in mine and haven't had a problem since.

4. "All the tubes were balanced about a year ago"???? What do you mean by that?