Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SVT-3/4 Pro: Which one is right for me?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by naughtry, Feb 9, 2004.

1. naughtry

naughtry

Jan 31, 2004
    NYC / D.C.
    I've been searching around reading topics about Ampeg/SVTPro's and it seems lots of people complain about the SVT-3 not having enough volume or headroom. So, I was thinking I might be better off with a SVT-4Pro but when I was in Guitar Center the SVT-4 pro on display was busted and I only got to try a SVT-3 Pro. I liked the tone and everything but it did seem awfully quiet and I didn't like the sound with everything dimed.

If I ordered a SVT-4 online would I be happy with it if I liked the tone of the 3 but wanted more power?

I originally just wanted a 1x15 cab and was going to add a 2x10 but after trying the SVT-410hlf I knew I had to have it. I'm not sure if I need the power of the SVT-4 though.

I'm playing loud hardcore influnced rock/punk where the bass carries the song alot of the time (think fugazi, q and not u, Dismemberment Plan, Moving Units, as well as some HC bands like City of Caterpillar). I'm sure there won't be a PA at some shows so thats a consideration. Right now, my guitar player isn't that loud but I'm looking to join a new band and want a kickin setup that I know can step up to the guitar players rigs.

What you guys think? I'm trying to finalize my decisions right now so your advice would be quite helpful.

Thanks.

2. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    I think a CL would be best, but out of those two, the 4 will be better.

3. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    it really just depends what you need.

4. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    Go with the power of the SVT 4 you wiill need the headroom playing in a loud rock band. I have one and am happy with it, though I was disapointed at first only becaused there was so many tonal possibilities I had a hard time finding the sound I wanted.

5. I don't get it. So many people bash the SVT-3 as lacking in power. I play with 2 guitar players and I have a hard time hearing them sometimes. Plus I get a great tone out of it and it provides me ample headroom. I have the gain at about the 10 o'clock position and it's plenty loud. I practiced at AMP in NoHo on Saturday and used the GK that they had in that room. I'll tell you what, I had that thing probably at the 2 o'clock position and I couldn't hear a damned thing out of it. Plus absolutely no useable tone out of it. My SVT-3 kicks ass. No doubt about it.

6. Audiosolace

Audiosolace Guest

Oct 8, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    I've had my SVT-4 Pro for more than a year now, and I just got that perfect sound for which I'd been looking. I'm plugged in to two 4x10 cabinets, though, so the headroom the amp affords me might be more than you'll need for a 2x10 and a 1x15... but its always nice to know you can upgrade if you later decide you'd like! Good luck in your final decision, man!

7. naughtry

naughtry

Jan 31, 2004
    NYC / D.C.
    thanks for the replies. I was trying to keep a easily portable setup with a 1x15 and 2x10 but I really liked the sound of the SVT-410hlf over the 1x15 (cant afford a 2x10 at same time). I've been thinking about the 1x15 and 2x10 idea and it doesnt seem so appealing anymore, it would just be one more trip to the car. The 410hlf has wheels and a dolly handle so the only thing that would be bad is stairs which I think are going to suck no matter what i get.

Oh yeah on the subject of the SVT-3's volume, I had the master around 2' with the tube gain and whatever fairly high and it did'nt seem that loud at all. I wasn't trying to annoy everyone there so kept the volume reasonable but it didn't seem like there was much more left.

8. Ncognito

Ncognito Banned Commercial User

Jan 8, 2002
    Hoffman Estates, Illinois
    Owner, Xsonics Bass Cabinets
    I agree, go with the SVT 4. You will want the headroom playing in a loud rock band. I've had mine since 1997 and I am very happy with it. I've also owned SVT-3 Pro's, but I feel the SVT-4 Pro is a MUCH better decision. There is not that much of a price difference if you shop around, or look on Ebay.

Good luck!

9. thetaurus

thetaurus

May 28, 2002
    Muncy, PA
    of the two...i'd go with the svt 4. i thought about doing this, but instead, i opted for the svp pro/qsc rmx 1450. it actually ended up being cheaper, and i have more power. i don't have the crossover, but i don't need it anyway.

10. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    Different strokes. I went with the III Pro. Okay. the IV wasn't out yet. Honestly, tonewise, I like the III much better. It's not as loud-obviously. I am a certified old fart (52) and the III just brought back too many memories of a youth clouded by being orphaned, poverty and various chemically-induced excesses. Ten years after (sorry guys!), I still love it.

11. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    My thoughts exactly. Dirtrider-I presume you use the +10DB slider on the Graphic EQ? That's the key to getting this amp loud-When you simply do this, it gets VERY loud. I've used this thing for shows, No PA- about 200 people, at 8 ohms (280W) I had the volume on 12 oclock, and it easily had alot more headroom, and was very loud. Also mess around with the Graphic EQ-it's very helpful. The think I really dig about the 3pro is the Ultra Low button (I know just about every Ampeg has this, but on the 3 pro it seems to work better IME). It can go from a sweet vintage style, with lots of mids (Perfect for a P), to more of a somewhat scooped, with more lows (but still cuts through nicely). I'd say definatley go for the 3 pro. I just didn't like the 4pro. There have also been some reliablility issues with some newer 3pro's, but I have an older one (1994), and it's been flawless to me. Picked it up for a very decent price used too.