1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SVT 3 or 4???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by eastcoasteddie, Mar 24, 2006.

1. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    What's up, fella's? This is my first post here.

I'm in the market for a new head. I started out playing in '93 with some kind of 70's amp called Stargazer. It worked, but sucked.
    I then bought a Hartke 350 head and a 410 XL cabinet, which worked better. Used that for a few years then sold them off because I wasn't in a giging band anymore, and I needed money.
    I picked up a new SWR workingman's 12 combo, about when they just came out in '95 or so. I used it in a lot of small gigs coupled with a 1x15 cabinet and it worked flawlessly for about 10 years
    It recently fried on me, and it would cost about the same to get it fixed as to buy a new one. SO at this time it's in the garage waiting for me to decide on what to do with it.

Which brings me to buying a new head.
    Right now I'm using a borrowed SVT200T that my brother bought off ebay a couple years ago. It's nice, but #1 it isn't mine and #2 it doesn't fit in my rack...

I was looking at the SVT 4 Pro and the SVT 3 Pro. I'm not going to get into specs because I'm sure many of you know more about them than I do.
    While A-B'ing both amps through an Ampeg 6x10 using a Jazz bass, all volume, tone, gain, eq' set about the same, The SVT3 seemed to have more presence to it. Is this due to the 2 extra "driver tubes" in the power amp that the SVT 4 doesn't have?
    The SVT 4 is very tempting with the dual power amps and all, but I'm not sure I'll be needing bi-amps and multiple stacks. We aren't playing any arenas...I'm actually leaning more towards the SVT3.
    Any experiences with the SVT 3 or 4, anything you can share, knowledge, advice will all be welcome.

My local misic store that deals mostly with vintage & 2nd hand equipment has an SVT4 pro for $875 used. is it worth buying 2nd hand to save a buck?

thanks
    -ed

2. jwaugh

jwaugh

Feb 26, 2006
    West Virginia
    I've currently got (on 30 day return policy :) a B2RE playing thru a 410hlf. going to go to a SVT 610hlf and have checked out the svt 3 pro. IMHO it does not have the power (450 W @4 ohms, same as the B2, but does have more *presence*) to really drive the 610 cab... so ... looking at the B4 (1000 mono-bridged), or svt 6, or svt1000 (gotta try b-4 you buy).
    The B2 just didn't generate enough volume with the 410hlf to suit me (playing with a 97 American Fender Jazz 5 string) .. was getting drowned out by a loud drummer, singer and fairly(!) loud guitarist.

Interested in seeing what folks have to say about this .. I'm leaning towards the svt 6 pro although it is a couple hundred more then the B4. Love Ampeg for their quality, sound and tech support, so I'd like to stick with them.

3. jacostilllives

jacostilllives

May 4, 2004
    I love my 4Pro. Never have had a problem with it. Tons of features. Good tone tons of power. I dunno kinda biased but whatever. Dont mono bridge it though because i dont know if they 610 can handle the wattage. Some people complain about the reliability but ive never had any problems at all.

4. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    I started thhinking about being "drowned out"...
    The studio we rehearse at has Ashdown amps, basically the 300 and 500 versions through 4x10's and 1x15's stacked.
    My brother who plays guitar, likes to stereo 2 half stacks. One Marshall and one Soldano. There are times where I doo feel drowned out and struggle to be heard. I'm wondering if using a single amp putting out 300 watts (approximately) split between 2 cabinets won't be enough. The SVT4 will allow for 350 watts into EACH cabinet....

5. jwaugh

jwaugh

Feb 26, 2006
    West Virginia
    I'm looking at a carvin power amp .. then most likely the svp-cl preamp ... so will have 1200 watts (mono'd) to push a svt 610hlf. I just got frustrated (ref: the drowned out feeling) seeing the limiter light flash constantly, and having to pluck harder (which takes any 'technique' I may muster immediately downhill) to just try to be heard. this was with the b2re (450@4 ohms) into a 410hlf.

I'm going to err on the side of overkill. been told to elevate my cab .. playing in poor acoustics perhaps, etc .. but once you max out the amp, you can't go any further. you can always turn it down if you have "too much". I'm just going to ensure the power amp max power will not exceed the 'program handling' of the cab (in this case 1200 watts), and will listen to ensure I'm not flogging the cab too hard.

and heck. the carvin is around $400 new. preamp a little more, but going for the 'classic' ampeg tone.

6. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    jwaugh, you like the solid state preamp of the B4 over the SVT 4 Pro tube pre?
    I actually like the tone of a tube preamp, very round and ballsy. When I have my Hartke, I never used the SS preamp knob.

7. jwaugh

jwaugh

Feb 26, 2006
    West Virginia
    oh no .. much prefer the tube sound :) (of course!) .. can get the B4 a few hundred dollars cheaper though. actually .. now looking at the svp-cl preamp and a carvin power amp. can get these for under a thousand .. and should get me where I want to go :)

8. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    that's a cool idea.
    decisions...decisions...
    I find that I am my own worst enemy in trying to make a decision...

9. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    I didn't read the posts, only the title of the thread. The 4-PRO is awesome. You'll probably only use one of the two power amps, but it sounds really good and powerful. The single 12AX7 adds warmth. I had one and will likely be getting another. The 3-PRO is sounds great but not enough power. If you ever ran something like 2 SVT-410HLFs into the 4-PRO - there's some serious tone.

Skel

10. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    I believe the SVT 4 has 3 12AX7's, same as the SVT 3. But the SVT 3 has another 12AX7 and a 12AU7 as Driver Tubes.