1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SVT 3 pro AC Outlet

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by newyorkiddo, Mar 27, 2015.

1. newyorkiddo

newyorkiddo I'm actually a cat.

Jul 10, 2013
    What is the purpose of this AC Outlet in the back of the SVT 3?
    Is this to plug in other rack effects?
    Or would I be able to plug in my pedals' power supply?
    It'd be super convenient if I could plug em in there and have an extra outlet available during jamming sessions.
    Says 300 watts maximum.
    I wanted to plugin five pedals - MXR Micro Amp, Tech 21 SansAmp Bass Driver DI Programmable, Korg Pitchblack tuner, Mooer Yellow Comp/Keeley Bassists Comp, and a TC Electronic Flashback X4 - all powered by a Power All power supply ( if it's relevant)

2. neckdive

neckdive

Oct 11, 2013
    You answered your own questions. You can plug in whatever makes things more convenient as long as the total stays under 300 watts. I plug a wireless unit, which doesn't have a power on button, into the back of my III. Everything comes on at once.

3. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Look on the Power All supply for the maximum wattage to ensure that it is within 300W. If it is higher, your power supply will not necessarily draw what the stated maximum is. It depends on the draw of each pedal. At 300W and 120VAC, that is 2.5 amps.

You can buy an inexpensive meter on amazon and at some hardware stores called a Kill A Watt that measures power usage. This will tell you for sure how many watts you are drawing. You plug the power supply into the unit, plug it into the wall and it will give you the total watts drawn. If that is less than 300W, you are fine.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
  4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Back in the day, a lot of manufacturers put an AC outlet in the back of their amps for convenience sake. That practice has gone the way of the Edsel, though.

5. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Putting an accessory outlet on the back of the amp requires additional safety agency costs and depending on how it's done could change the testing category or require duplicate testing within a second category.

Then, there's the issue of exporting with different sockets and all of those rating tests.

6. newyorkiddo

Jul 10, 2013
    Wow, thanks a lot, that seems like quite a helpful gadget to have around the house!
    the what now?:eyebrow:

beans-on-toast likes this.
  7. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    It is handy to identify power hogs at home.

And you can use it a gigs to test the line voltage before you plug in. That and an outlet tester ($5 at a hardware store, has three LED's and is used to test that the wiring is correct) and you'll know that it is safe to plug in your amp.

8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
  9. newyorkiddo

Jul 10, 2013
    Thanks a lot! I would definitely want to make sure my gear is safe to plug in to avoid any damage.
    Yowza!