Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

svt 3 pro, and svt 4pro

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by xshawnxearthx, Aug 4, 2005.

1. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    ok, i had a 3 por, but felt it was just too underpowered. i ended up buying a mesa 400+ but now i am second guessing myself because the 400+ is no 3 pro. sound on the 400+ is good, just may not be what im looking for.

with the 4 pro, am i going to get the same sounds as the 3 pro just with more power? i was able to play one at GC and it sounded awesome, i just couodnt do it in a live setting.

2. have you thought about an all tube ampeg ?

3. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    i have. i think i may just want to go back to the solid state side though.

i loved my 3 pro when it did what i wanted. if i had only not sold it, id be in a good position right now, but offcourse, i jump into things and never think things out fully. i find it hard to turn down a killer deal.

4. Im of the same dispositioin, i just jumped on my SVT without much experience and just running on reviews and stuff, fortunatly i like it!

If you liked the SVT 3 Pro, maybe look at the 6 pro, im not sure, but i think its meant to be the same pre section with a more powerful power section

5. Ok, i just checked, it doesnt seem to have the same pre section, but it does have a driver section unlike the 4-pro and 5-pro, if that'd make a difference to you

6. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    interesting.

i just hate hwen i find great deals, because then i jump on them and usually regret it. like when i bought my music man. got a good deal, loved the idea of it, but was just never happy with the sound.

7. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    i wonder how much of a difference in the sound that it would make.

8. myrockinbass

myrockinbass

Jun 10, 2005
    What kind of cab did you use?

9. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    ampeg 610hlf.

10. myrockinbass

myrockinbass

Jun 10, 2005
    What is the wattage on that. I run my svt-3 through a slightly less wattage cab and it's plenty loud to keep up with my rock band so far. I play through two- 1X15's rated at 400 watts in venues ranging from 25- 1500 people.
    Apparently it's easier (and louder) for a higher powered amp to pump into a similarly powered cab. If the cab is rated higher then the amp, it's supposed to waste more energy trying to push the cones and you lose volume.

11. +1 on the 6 Pro - although that's also based purely only on what I've heard - no one has actually played on one yet... when are they hitting stores?

12. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    ok, but thats not my point.

the 400+ is plenty loud and has way more headroom then i need.

13. just a random idea, would probably invalidate the driver section anyway, but if you still have your 3 pro, ever thought of just getting a more power power amp, and using the pre from the 3-pro ?

im not sure of how much of a difference the tube driver section makes, but ill assume its probably pretty noticable, otherwise what would be the point of it ?

14. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    too late for that though, i already sold my 3 pro. :scowl:

15. It depends completelly on how efficient the drivers are, not what their maximum capabilities are

16. What about an SVP-Pro, or SVP-CL then, into a power amp? im sure you'd be able to get that off selling your 400+ if thats what you want to do

17. myrockinbass

myrockinbass

Jun 10, 2005
    Gothcha- You just get rediculous power, sounds the same to my ears. I've used a friends 4, I own the svt 3,and I could dial in my favorite settings on both... just wasn't worth the money.

18. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    i'm sure i could. considering i'd sell the 400+ for what i paid if not a bit more.

i dont know, im all sorts of confused and pissed off and just i dont know.

19. myrockinbass

myrockinbass

Jun 10, 2005
    I had the same problem. I actually purchased a GK and the svt at the same time so i could tinker with them at home. The GK had cool functions but after a while, the effects (though fun)sounded cheeseball to me. My ampeg was able to faithfull reproduce the honest sound of my bass. returned the GK and haven't looked back. I'll upgrade to a 1200W Apeg monster once I start playing arena rock. Until then I go both live and direct through the PA.

20. One thing ive not thought to mention til now, have you tried EQ'ing your Mesa 400+ in a band situation

It seems that tube amps really come into thier glory there, whereas they can sometimes come over as lacking on thier own