1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

svt 3-pro cutting out?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rsn, Apr 11, 2009.

1. rsn

rsn

Apr 11, 2009
    Hey, let me start by saying this forum is such an amazing source of information which has answered countless of questions i had about serveral amp related things.

Now that I've read that overpowering a cab isn't neccisarily a bad thing (on the contrary in some of your opinions), there's still one thing that keeps bugging me.
    My girlfriend has an Ampeg svt 3-pro running at 8 ohm (275w) going to a 4x10 hartke (don't ask) which is 200w at 8 ohm. Now this shouldn't really be a problem as long as she doesn't blast the master and graphic eq fully open. But sometimes when she's playing (she plays heavier music and with a pick), after a minute or 2-3, the amp just cuts out. I can't really remember the settings she dialed in but I was wondering if anyone has an explanation for this (the amp has been retubed a few months ago but i doubt that has anything to do with it)?

One more thing, she's really hitting the pre-amp hard, but that should only increase the overal output (/watt) in a slight way right (since she doesn't really have the master full open)?

Glad I now can also be a part of this community!

Thanks,

Robert.

2. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Hi Robert.

Have you consulted the troubleshooting guide in the downloadable SVT-3Pro owner's manual?

3. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    That troubleshooting guide is basically no help for this situation......

it depends a little on how it is cutting out........ if you can hear any scratchy sounds from speaker when hitting it, etc, it could be a bad solder joint that gets rattled by sitting on the speaker, causing momentary cut-outs.

If the internal speaker relay clicks off and back on, probably with a few seconds delay, that would seem like a temporary overheating situation,. But with an 8 ohm speaker, that seems unlikely, the amp can drive 4 ohms. She must be really hitting it hard if that is the problem........

Of course if the overtemp circuit is messed up, it might trigger early.

If she plays hard enough to get considerable "fuzz tone", there are other things that could occur besides heating. But you'd pretty much have to get some rotten sound for that to happen.

4. rsn

rsn

Apr 11, 2009
    Thanks a bunch for your replies!

When the amp cuts out, it just stops producing sound for like a minute or something and after that it's ready to go again, no cracks or pops or whatever. Like i said, she's hitting the preamp pretty hard with an active bass but her master volume knob rarely goes past 4 or 5 so i'd think it wouldn't be the remaining 75watt that's causing the amp to fail out or something.

I've seen that manual but that couldn't really help solve the problem.

5. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    Check if the cooling system is OK. Sounds to me like a thermal problem. Is the fan spinning, are the cooling fins clogged with crud?

Paul