1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SVT 3 Pro footswitch question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by erikwhitton, Feb 19, 2003.

1. erikwhitton

erikwhitton Guest

Sep 20, 2002
    Portland, ME USA
    Hi -I bought a used SVT 3 Pro and it did not have the original footswitch. I bought a generic footswicth thinking it would work but it does not.

I'm not sure if the switch i bought is defective. I bought it new.

Should a generic footswitch work for this amp or do i need to get one from ampeg?

thanks
    erik

ps - does anyone use this amp with another power amp to get more power? how are the results?

2. Flight Time

Flight Time

Aug 29, 2002
    I think that you need an Ampeg. Musicians Friend has them.

3. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    ok... i have the SVP-Pro, but that has the same preamp as the SVT-3 as far as i know... and I use a generic (carvin) two button footswitch and it works fine.

It plugs into the footswitch input in the back with a stereo 1/4" plug. I don't know much about how the switching system works, but i know that i haven't had a problem yet...

It sounds to me like you have a faulty footswitch, but you shouldn't have to buy an ampeg one to get it working. Or maybe it's a problem with the amp...

4. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    I rewired an old Peavey two button footswitch and it's fine.

5. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    Perhaps you have a "momentary" footswitch?

A momentary switch is only ON when it is depressed. It would require a latching circuit in the amp to stay on. You can test it by standing on it and seeing if it changes your EQ then.

I used to have an Ampeg SVT-400T and just used a generic switch with it.

6. You know,
    almost every two-button switch will do fine.
    Just try it out at a store and get the cheapest.
    The Ampeg AFP2 costs something like 70 euro's over here and that's incredibly steep!!

I've bought a second hand SVT-3 Pro yesterday. Afterworths I went to a store looking for a footswitch... everything they had was stuff on batteries and I wanted a switch without. So I returned home without a footswitch.

Back home, I plugged in a common Marshall two-button switch (one button for channel, the other was for chorus). I tried it and it worked perfectly...

My two words:
    get a Marshall Footswitch. They're cheap(er), sturdy and work without batteries.