SVT 3 Pro footswitch question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by erikwhitton, Feb 19, 2003.

1. erikwhitton

erikwhitton Guest

Sep 20, 2002
    Portland, ME USA
    Hi -I bought a used SVT 3 Pro and it did not have the original footswitch. I bought a generic footswicth thinking it would work but it does not.

I'm not sure if the switch i bought is defective. I bought it new.

Should a generic footswitch work for this amp or do i need to get one from ampeg?

ps - does anyone use this amp with another power amp to get more power? how are the results?
  2. Flight Time

Flight Time

Aug 29, 2002
    I think that you need an Ampeg. Musicians Friend has them.
  3. FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    ok... i have the SVP-Pro, but that has the same preamp as the SVT-3 as far as i know... and I use a generic (carvin) two button footswitch and it works fine.

It plugs into the footswitch input in the back with a stereo 1/4" plug. I don't know much about how the switching system works, but i know that i haven't had a problem yet...

It sounds to me like you have a faulty footswitch, but you shouldn't have to buy an ampeg one to get it working. Or maybe it's a problem with the amp...
  4. rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    I rewired an old Peavey two button footswitch and it's fine.
  5. ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Perhaps you have a "momentary" footswitch?

A momentary switch is only ON when it is depressed. It would require a latching circuit in the amp to stay on. You can test it by standing on it and seeing if it changes your EQ then.

I used to have an Ampeg SVT-400T and just used a generic switch with it.
  6. You know,
    almost every two-button switch will do fine.
    Just try it out at a store and get the cheapest.
    The Ampeg AFP2 costs something like 70 euro's over here and that's incredibly steep!!

I've bought a second hand SVT-3 Pro yesterday. Afterworths I went to a store looking for a footswitch... everything they had was stuff on batteries and I wanted a switch without. So I returned home without a footswitch.

Back home, I plugged in a common Marshall two-button switch (one button for channel, the other was for chorus). I tried it and it worked perfectly...

My two words:
    get a Marshall Footswitch. They're cheap(er), sturdy and work without batteries.