Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

svt 3-pro old and new?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by wushuguy, Jun 14, 2003.

1. wushuguy

wushuguy

Jan 9, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    I was just wondering if there is any tonal difference between the new svt's and the previous model. I might have a deal to get one of the older ones. Are they just as good? Another thing that's holding me back is the claims about exagerated power claims. I'm selling my GK 400rbIV because it just doesn't have the headroom that I need. Does anyone know if the svt 3-pro (older or newer) has more headroom than the GK? Thanks for any help.

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Cosmetics.
    Some newer models don't have a daisy AC plug anymore.
    Banana plugs have been replaced by Speakons (in Europe).
    The rest is cosmetics, AFAIK.

3. wushuguy

wushuguy

Jan 9, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Thanks a lot. By the way, what's AFAIK?

Anyone know about the headroom issue?

4. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    AFAIK: As Far As I Know

AFAIK, the SVT3 is a finicky piece. If you do a search on it in this forum you'll find that while the tone is generally regarded as good, the power section seems to be kinda flaky. Personally I've had several opportunities to play through them but never in a loud enough setting to see how much of a beating they could take.

5. Davo737

Davo737

Feb 29, 2000
    Syracuse, NY
    I used to own and SVT 3 pro, and while the tone was great, I found myself in the "doesn't have enough power or headroom" camp. I went to an Eden WT-400 and, power-wise, the difference was night and day.

Lates,
    Dave

6. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I have a older SVT3 & a GK400RB, the GK is rated lower wattage wise, but sounds louder! The SVT3 sounds great for rock stuff......just not loud enough:( I feel Ampeg's wattage ratings are a little generous...I also feel the same about my old SWRSM400.....nice amp, just not that loud.

7. wushuguy

wushuguy

Jan 9, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Hmmm... Thanks for the replies guys. It looks like the SVT may not be my answer, since I'm looking for something with more headroom than the new 400rb.