svt-3 pro or B4R head??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassman60, Feb 26, 2002.

1. bassman60

Jun 5, 2001
    I really like the sound of both of these heads and I'm looking for a good companion to go with my svt 6x10hlf. I play in a hard rock band and would like a good amount of head room. Will the svt3 pro do it for me? Or should I go with the more powerful b4r????
  2. If you want headroom, don't go the svt3-pro route. i have one and use it with an SWR 8x8. The power rating on the svt3pro is way overrated, it only puts about 300watts RMS. Ask anyone on this board, they'll tell you the same thing. I really liked the tone of this amp when i ran it with a 8ohm laod, but when i run it with my 8x8 which is 4ohm, it sounds muddy as hell, and it dosen't put much more power out with 4ohm.

the bottom line is go with the b4r or one of the all tube models if possible.
  3. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    svt-3 pro or B4R head??

4. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Wrong! This misconception about Ampeg's power was cleared up a month or so ago on this board. Do a search on Ampegs power rating you should find it.

Back to the original question. I would go with the B4r with the 610 hlf. Of course I already did! I liked the tone and power of the B4r over the SVT 3 pro.
  5. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
  6. Ok cb56, ya got me on that one.:D I'm suprised that i didn't see this thread eariler. But, however this my svt3-pro doesn't sound like 450watts of any other amp on the market thru my SWR 8x8.
  7. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I owned the SVT III PRO for a while & it was a good amp but I'd have to go with the B4R.

Personally, I don't care what is written on the back of the head, power-wise. But when I used to work @ Sam Ash & I used to A/B the SVT III & a B2R (350W @ 4 ohms) through an SVT 410HLF (4 ohm cab) & my ears told me the the B2R was louder.
  8. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Nino, I totally agree, When I was searching for a new head, I asked about the SVT III and SVT II Pro heads.....I got a few replies from people that said they own or owned both and they all said the same thing, that the SVT III's power rating was over-rated.

bassman60 i would recomend that you go with the svp pro preamp and purchase a separate power amp. IMO it sounds better than the svt III and b4r. Its also very advantagious imo for upgradability reasons. EX: you like the tone your getting from the svp, but still need more power, you can just upgrade to a higher wattage power amp without having to swap out the preamp as well.