SVT 3 Pro owners - Tell me your settings

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by OneDrop76, Oct 3, 2005.

1. OneDrop76

Jul 15, 2005
    Beltsville, MD
    I play a Fender P bass into an Ampeg 4x10 and Avatar 1X15 with the SVT 3 pro. I'm looking for the best EQ settings to get the most volume and best sound. I know it will take some trial and error, but if anyone has a nice recipe for me that would be great. I've been trying to get the right balance between the gain/master/bass/tube drive knobs. I want a nice fat dubby sound, as big and loud as I can get without clipping and farting. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks
  2. seaKamp

Jun 30, 2005
    I don't own an SVT-3PRO anymore but I'd suggest... Keep the master volume cranked and don't raise the gain higher than 10, especially for a dub sound. For me anything higher than that just didn't suit my ears. The manual has a few good settings you can work with. Check those out and then tweak to your taste. Don't play with the EQ for now, just work with the knobs and find something that suits your needs. I liked the funk setting and tweaked mine from there to my taste. It is a solid head, enjoy!
  3. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Yes, I opted for the "Sell this underpowered boat anchor on Ebay and get something else" setting as well ;)

Sorry, that was uncalled for.

I'd set the frequency center to one and slight boost the lows on the EQ. Master at 100% and edge up the gain until you get the volume u need.
  4. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

To avoid nasty clipping, leave the graphic EQ switched out so you have the least amount of solid state components in your signal path.

To get the most volume, crank master to max and then gain to taste. Don't be afraid to run "in the red" (clip light flashing): it won't hurt the unit, and it takes a lot of red for "farting" to be audible. If you get to the point where you have to choose between "clean and too quiet" versus "dirty but loud enough", then turn down treble (and the tweeter in your cab, if applicable). That'll make the overdrive less harsh... you might even like it.

Hope that helps. Good luck!
  5. el_Kabong

Jul 11, 2005
    +1 Even if you have all the sliders in the centre position you can hear the graphic when you switch it in. It's got those nasty edgy highs that I associate with cheap electronics. Stay away from it unless you really need it imo, tho I guess it might be ok if you're a no tweeter type. For maximum volume you could try a compressor to catch the peaks so you don't get clipping, thus raising the average level. Don't go crazy adding lows, they use a huge amount of power. Cut your highs and add only as much low as you need. It's only gossip (ie I haven't tried it) but I've heard that some have good results with the aphex bass exciter in this regard. The low end processing seems to provide some compression, reducing clipping, and raises perceived volume. Might be worth trying one out?
  6. xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    tthe setting on my 3 pro is off.