SVT 3 Pro Vs. 400+

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by erikwhitton, Mar 10, 2003.

1. erikwhitton

erikwhitton Guest

Sep 20, 2002
    Portland, ME USA
    I'm on the fence about upgrading from my SVT. I need to be convinced. So help me see the light TB'ers.

I play a jazz and a warwick through an Ampeg 6x10 which I'm not considering dumping right now.

tell me please how much different this amp would be!

2. The 400+ will be much much louder, and much heavier.
  3. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I have a SVT3Pro.....IMHO it lacks in the volume department......the 400 is louder with very nice tone.
  4. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    The Mesa will be MUCH louder!
  5. BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I say go tubes....tubes most always sound louder and better than SS amps
  6. The 400+ stomps the guts out of the SVT-3pro. I've used my buddy's 400+ through my SVT-410HLF and it sounds amazing. Not quite as good as my '76 SVT, but close;)
  7. thelastofus

thelastofus Guest

Jul 3, 2002
    Bakersfield, Ca
    i have owned both and will say it's entirely up to you. if you like the "ampeg" sound, don't be fooled because you cannot get it anywhere else so if you're gonna spend the money on a 400+ get a really nice ampeg. if you're into a cleaner sound though or just not necessarily the ampeg sound then i'd say deffinately go for the 400+. the 400+ is a monster and sounds great, it's got a lot of volume, much more than the svt3. if headroom is a concern then this is good but if you're like me, and it wasn't a concern that in can become annoying because of how loud it is. retubing isn't that bad because usually you never have too. and it's not that much heavier than an svt 3, it is twice the weight, but it's not really like 50lbs is a lot (i have a classic so 50 seems light). i'm not sure about thru an ampeg cab because i played mine thru a mesa 6x10, but the ampeg is much warmer and growlier. the mesa doesn't get a really good growly/overdriven sound imo. play both and think about what you want. 50lbs and 16 tubes aren't that much when you get one of the ballsiest amps ever made in return.
    P.S. plus the ability to drown out every member of your band is kinda cool for your ego.
  8. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

9. erikwhitton

erikwhitton Guest

Sep 20, 2002
    Portland, ME USA
    well i did it.
    found a 400+ yesterday..won't pick it up until next week but i'm looking forward to it!

i don't think the svt3 was letting my 6x10hlf really open up as much as i'd want it to.

thanks for the replies!