1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SVT 3 Pro vs. Shuttle 6.0?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by peterwsmith, Sep 16, 2008.

1. Hi all,

I'm fairly new to TB, but have been lurking around a few months.

With all the talk about the Shuttle, I can't help but be intrigued. How does it compare to an SVT 3 Pro?

Background: I'm currently playing an EBMM > Sansamp BDDI > SVT 3 > SWR Golitath Sr 6X10. I play in a pretty straight forward rock band. Tonewise I dig a little dirt, and nice punchy low mids.

Thanks for any info!!

2. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    Shuttle has a different tone, and more power. The SVT 3 Pro has more tubes in the pre, so it has more of that classic Ampeg tone. The Shuttle is much more hybrid sounding.

3. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    Apples and oranges. Try both, please...

4. Vinny D

Vinny D

Jan 9, 2007
    Warwick, RI
    I consider the SVT3 pro to be the best sounding head Ampeg makes tone wise (for my taste), but it is like night and day compared to a shuttle.
    I would say if you are into the Ampeg sound the Shuttle will probably not do it for you....unless you are looking for a new sound:)

Try one and see if it's for you but I would say if you like the dirty tone you can get from the Ampeg because of it's preamp design you most likely will not like the Shuttle.

5. I asked the question because I don't have the spare $700 to order a Shuttle. The only brands my local music stores carry are Fender, Beringher and Ampeg. Believe me, if I could have tried one, I would have.

Everyone else, thanks for the advice! I really appreciate it. Now I don't have to GAS for the Shuttle so much!

6. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

I agree on the SVT III Pro. It's a very nice sounding head. I used one for two years and was quite satisfied with it. Compared to SVT 4 and others I'd take the III Pro any day.

That being said, I switched from my SVT III Pro to a Genz Benz GBE600 (very similar tonally to the Shuttle) and I ended up much prefering the Genz Benz. It had a bit more muscle and punch than the Ampeg but at the expense of some warmth. The Genz will sound more hi-fi and midrangey than the Ampeg, a little more hi-fi but still with the opportunity to dial some dirt in via the tube channel.

I mostly liked the the more versatile footswitchable tone presets and the SS / tube switching vs. the Ampeg's simple EQ on/off set-up.

I liked it so much, I also bought a GBE750.

7. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    I've gigged an SVT 3 Pro many times. While it sounded great, I always felt it was extremely weak and over spec'ed. My Neo-pak kept up with it very easily, and the Shuttle 6.0 will totally bury it in terms of power. Still, the SVT 3 Pro has a sweetness to it, and it reacts differently when pushed than does the Shuttle. It's hard to say which you'd like better. I like them both.

8. svtb15

svtb15 Banned

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig. Q+
    I giged with an svt3 pro for a few years.. I always felt it was underpowered. It was supposed to be 450 watts into 4 ohms but didnt seem all that loud.
    It also had a mushy or slow response.. I dont think it was the tubes but i could be wrong..Since i also have an earlier version SVT3 non-pro with less power and Bipolar instead of Mosfet outputs and it seems louder and punchier with much nicer EQ. The SVT3 non-pro has more of a SVT sound than the Pro version did and the EQ points were more like the older SVT than the Pro version. I sold the 3Pro and still have the non pro 3 becasue i think it is a far better sounding amp.
    But i now have a Shuttle 6.0.. It is louder than the svt3 pro. punchier and faster responding.. not to mention about 26 pounds lighter and fits in a gig bag.
    If i had my choice of the svt3 pro and a shuttle i would take the shuttle in a heartbeat.
    They are really two completely different amps...voiced differently too.. The Semi Para mid on the shuttle makes it real easy to use, and fast to fix a problem room. The shuttle also has a great DI where the SVT3 pro was touch and go with me.. I almost always had to use an external DI where the shuttle DI out is pretty darn high quality and variable.

You can get a little grit with the shuttle but i have not been able to get it to distort since i use mostly passive basses.
    If you want Low mid like in your OP the shuttle can do that easily and also does a nice deep round bottom too depending on your speaker cab and if you push the DEEP Button in...