Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Svt 3-Pro with a power amp???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mrbrian, Aug 19, 2005.

1. mrbrian

mrbrian

Aug 9, 2005
    NJ
    OK...here goes....(deep breath)

I have an svt-3 pro and love the preamp tone off it, but I need more power.
    Instead of selling the head, buying a preamp (svp-pro or the like), and going though all the trouble, I was thinking about just keeping the head (using the preamp side of it) and just adding a power amp (qsc-plx, or the like)....

thoughts?
    how to run it?
    do i have to use the effects out?
    how it all works?

Did a search on this matter specifically, and couldn't come up with anything.

all and any info is great here!

Thanks in advance,
    Brian

2. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    I don't know for sure but if you have an effects out on it, you could run a regular instrument plug from that into the power amp.

Not 100% sure on that one though, somebody will come along and clear it up if I don't know what I'm talking about.

-Rob

3. mrbrian

mrbrian

Aug 9, 2005
    NJ
    dude! unreal response time....!!!
    keep it comin guys..and thanks!

4. softscrubmonkey

softscrubmonkey

Nov 19, 2004
    St. Louis
    yes you can do that, you have to run it from the "pre amp out" in the back of your head into the power amp. im not quite sure if you use standard instrument cable or speaker cable. but you dont use the effects loop out. the pre amp out well send the preamp signal to any power amp of your choice.

i dont say this in a mean way or anything, but a look at the manual will sort this all out :D

5. mrbrian

mrbrian

Aug 9, 2005
    NJ

wish i had one! any link would be appreciated! and thanks for the info.

6. softscrubmonkey

softscrubmonkey

Nov 19, 2004
    St. Louis
    http://ampeg.com/manuals/SVT-3PRO.PDF

ther ya go

and yeah it says shielded instrument cable. so there ya go. and as far as suggestions for a power amp, look into the qsc plx, or for budget check out the qsc rmx series. from my searching you can get real good prices on qsc amps from http://www.northernsound.net/ good luck man :bassist:

7. Have you tried setting the Tube Gain at 10? That will give you the most gain.

8. mrbrian

mrbrian

Aug 9, 2005
    NJ
    thanks!!!! im printing it out now!

and 12bass...Thats where I always keep it, so to answer your question..yes i keep the tube gain at 10 and the master all the way up, and only adjust the gain.

9. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    Are you using the ultra low button? I am going to PM you some settings that I have found to work great for me.

10. timmarks

timmarks Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland, D'Addario, Mesa
    one thing that I think is a must is to run it with the graphic on with the slider on the far right (level boost) all the way up. I rarely use the eq, just the level slider. I found the amp to be very quiet without that boost--and having the eq on doesn't seem to affect the tone badly--it's the same, just louder....keep the tube gain knob up too, i usually have it at about 3 o'colck. try it, maybe you won't need the extra power amp.

11. mrbrian

mrbrian

Aug 9, 2005
    NJ
    well to all...
    I added an eden 410xlt...SOLVED THE PROBLEM!!!
    man the thing is freakin loud now. I always had the tube gain all the way up, and the eq post all the way up, but it never used to be enough! Man, now i can turn the gain to past 5(blowing out my ears mind you) and it still will not "flash" on me! HOLY CRAP. BUY EDEN! Sounds great too!