Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

svt 3 problem. Got a clue?!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by toomuchthinking, Oct 25, 2004.

1. toomuchthinking

toomuchthinking

Oct 25, 2004
    I have an svt 3 pro, going through a 4ohm 4X10 cab.

Recently the peak light will come on and my bass will cut out. It usually lasts a few seconds. Sometimes it stays on till I give the head a tap.

Well today during band practice it cut out compleatly and wouldn't come back on. The amp was still running fine just no noise.

I could turn the amp off then back on and it would work for a min then cut back out.

So today I bought new tubes. Still no fix.

My bass is passive, so no battery problem, amp fuse is good, new tubes, cable is good.

What now?

2. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
  3. toomuchthinking

toomuchthinking

Oct 25, 2004
    no the speaker cable is good.

When I push down on any of the 3 pre-amp tubes (in spots v1-3) it comes back on.

Any other idea's?

4. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    That sounds like a classic open solder connection, or possible fractured trace.

I would go further and say it is probably in the -15V power supply, based on the fact that the peak comes on when it fails.

When you push, you probably force the bad connection back into temporary contact.

In any case, it should be a simple fix for any fairly intelligent tech.

5. Have you checked the input jack ?? For whatever reason , the SVT 3 Pro is NOTORIUS for this problem (don't know of one amp that still has the original in it !! Not knocking the amp at all - it's about the least expensive thing that can go wrong - Give it a shot ...

6. toomuchthinking

toomuchthinking

Oct 25, 2004
    I've actually never had any problems with my input. Its solid. Its the first amp i've owned that DIDN'T have a crappy input.

Thanks for the idea.