SVT-3 settings

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by johnvice, Sep 15, 2004.

1. johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    Call me unadventurous but I keep going back to Ampeg’s recommendation for a rock sound: the tube gain and the master volume on 10, the gain “to taste”. My bass is set on full volume so I use the gain set the volume.

The sound is great but I am leery of having a powerful amp set on 10. At best it creates more noise with the power amp on full.

I’d be interested in hearing other’s experience with the settings on this amp.
  2. Keentwist

Mar 22, 2004
    I set my 3 pro just like that. Master cranked, gain for volume control.
  3. Its a mistake in the manual, the master volume is not supposed to be run flat out on full.

The input gain level is the first step set this at loudest guitar inpt so led flickers, this is the optimum input setting. Adjust the EQ to taste and then set master volume to achieve desired levels and crank up the tube gain also to taste.

Rock On
  4. cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    This is confusing because I seem to remember the guy from Ampeg saying here recently that the master should be run at full and the gain used to control volume level BUT (surprisingly) the 'tube gain' REDUCED to add more growl and INCREASED to clean up the signal.... in other words the opposite to what you would expect the tube gain control to do!

Maybe he could chip in again?! :)
  5. I run my SVT that way. Master on full and I use the gain for volume. It can be a bit hissy when you're not playing, but pretty much is disguised once you start.
  6. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    Even though it seems to be the general rule of thumb (set your gain and then bring up the master for volume), I've also found that with Ampeg SS power, it is good to set the master up full and then adjust volume with your preamp.

I do this with my B2r, add some eq, and the amp has plenty o' headroom.

7. cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    Ampeg Insider could you remind us about the 'tube gain' control?