1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SVT-3 vs SVT-4 vs SVP-CL and some power amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Heckxx, Jan 19, 2005.

1. Heckxx

Heckxx

Nov 2, 2004
    Libertyville, IL
    I'm currently in an alternative/metal rock band, using a GK RB-III head and an Ampeg 410HE and 115, both the classic series goodness. I'm currently using an ibanez 885 soundgear active bass, in drop C (oh yeah!). Needless to say, i get a good amount of string/fret noise. I play pickstyle ONLY because I like the sound of the pick better then fingered. im actually much better at playing bass fingered which really sucks, heh. Anyways, I'm considering an upgrade to either:

Ampeg SVT-3 pro
    Ampeg SVT-4 pro
    Ampeg SVP-CL with Crown XS500
    Ampeg SVP-CL with QSC PLX1212

I want a sound similar to Kill Hannah, Thrice, From Autumn to Ashes, Cold, A Perfect Circle, that kindof lame stuff. Something modern i guess, tho I have noticed some of those bands use the classic sound from the SVT-CL. Reason i dont want that head is cuz it doesnt seem too reliable, and i dont want to hassle with tube power amps.

The shows i play are mostly smaller/medium sized venues, and if they are bigger, i'd be mic'd for sure. Maybe a worse case scenario i would ever face would be playing in a basketball-court-sized gym with no mic. That would be the most volume i would prolly need (and ive done that before with my GK, it was definitely loud enuf).

Some of my rationale: I dont necessarily need the power that the SVT-4 holds over the SVT-3. plus ive generally been reading better reviews of the SVT-3. I've heard stuff like you had to crank the SVT-4 to get a good sound out of it, and that doesnt sound too practical for me.

Anyways i think i wrote too much so just hit me up with any suggestions or questions..