SVT-3 vs SVT-4 vs SVP-CL and some power amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Heckxx, Jan 19, 2005.

1. Heckxx

Nov 2, 2004
    Libertyville, IL
    I'm currently in an alternative/metal rock band, using a GK RB-III head and an Ampeg 410HE and 115, both the classic series goodness. I'm currently using an ibanez 885 soundgear active bass, in drop C (oh yeah!). Needless to say, i get a good amount of string/fret noise. I play pickstyle ONLY because I like the sound of the pick better then fingered. im actually much better at playing bass fingered which really sucks, heh. Anyways, I'm considering an upgrade to either:

Ampeg SVT-3 pro
    Ampeg SVT-4 pro
    Ampeg SVP-CL with Crown XS500
    Ampeg SVP-CL with QSC PLX1212

I want a sound similar to Kill Hannah, Thrice, From Autumn to Ashes, Cold, A Perfect Circle, that kindof lame stuff. Something modern i guess, tho I have noticed some of those bands use the classic sound from the SVT-CL. Reason i dont want that head is cuz it doesnt seem too reliable, and i dont want to hassle with tube power amps.

The shows i play are mostly smaller/medium sized venues, and if they are bigger, i'd be mic'd for sure. Maybe a worse case scenario i would ever face would be playing in a basketball-court-sized gym with no mic. That would be the most volume i would prolly need (and ive done that before with my GK, it was definitely loud enuf).

Some of my rationale: I dont necessarily need the power that the SVT-4 holds over the SVT-3. plus ive generally been reading better reviews of the SVT-3. I've heard stuff like you had to crank the SVT-4 to get a good sound out of it, and that doesnt sound too practical for me.

Anyways i think i wrote too much so just hit me up with any suggestions or questions..