Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

svt-3 with ampeg or eden...?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Muttluk, Oct 22, 2000.

1. ok, i've pretty much decided on getting the ampeg Svt-3 head. but i dont know which cab to get. i havnt been able to try out the eden d-xlt410, but i've heard that their one of the best 4x10's out there. i have tried out the ampeg pr410 he, and liked it alot. i also tried out the swr goliath 3 and it didnt seem to be able to handle the low's as well as the Ampeg cab. so i'll ask for your guys' help on this one. I'm going up to seattle wiht my dad in december to check out e.m.p, and visit realitives, so i made him promas to take me to Bass NW to try out the eden cabs. aparently my GC doesnt cary ANYTHING by eden.

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

That sucks, Muttluck. Up until a few months ago only 1 GC here in Dallas/Fort Worth had Eden, but now they all do.
    Those dudes need to get with the times!

3. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Howdy Muttluck I have a SVT3 and I went with the Ampeg cabs and I have been using them over two years and they still sound great. I have the SVT15he and the SVT410he and the SVT 210he. Good Luck!

4. Muttluk,
    I tried out an SVT-3 with an Eden D-410XLT and it sounded really good. The only issue is, assuming you're buying an 8-ohm cab, the SVT-3 puts out 275 watts into 8 ohms, and the Eden can handle 700 watts or more. So you won't be pushing it as much as it needs to be pushed to really perform. If you can, try the SVT-3 into an SWR Henry the 8x8. It's a 4-ohm, 480-watt cab, and the Ampeg gives 450 watts into 4 ohms, so you'd have an almost perfect match. I tried this combo too.. EXTREMELY punchy and loud.

5. I've read recently that the folks at SLM/Ampeg have admitted that the 450 watt @ 4 ohm rating is not accurate. The realistic figure they admitted to was more around 300 watts. Which means at 8 ohms, you're probably only going to get about 200 watts. Just something to think about. Please correct me if I am wrong.

I owned a SVT3 for a week, and while it sounded great by itself, it did not have the power to cut through in a band situation. I found it to be terriby underpowered, but then again, your milage may vary.

Play what you like.

6. I've heard that, too.

7. Nails

Nails

Jun 4, 2000
    Austin, Tejas
    I say get a 4 ohm Eden 410XLT. I have an 8 ohm I'm using with at WT-800 (I usually don't mono bridge it, but if I ever need those 800 watts I know I can get it) and it sounds amazing. It blew away the Ampeg I used to use bottom end wise. But that's just my humble and biased opinion, try both out and see what you like better.

8. I was gonna say...I had an SVT-III (older model), but for the weight it just wasn't loud enough to get through two guitars and a loud drummer. Admittedly, it was only pushing an Eden D-210T, but it sure as hell wasn't developing 200 watts into those 8 ohms. I'm glad I sold the thing, as it was 60 pounds in the rack case.

9. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    Muttluk,

As luck would have it, I have an Ampeg 4x10HLF in mint condition that I'm selling. It's a 4ohm cabinet and should therefore give you max power with one cabinet. If you're interested, feel free to drop me an e mail.

10. This is interesting how you guys are saying that the Svt-3 can only put out around 300 watts. i was wondering about why i was pushing it around 10 oclock just being in the store (running though the ampeg pr410). i guess it is heavily over rated. what about the eden wt-400 head? is that one actuly 400 watts? like i said, i havnt been able to try out ANY eden gear, so when i do, i might change my mind on EVERYTHING of what to buy. so if the svt-3 is that over rated, then i might have to re-think this.

11. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    >This is interesting how you guys are saying that the Svt-3 can only put out around 300 watts. i was wondering about why i was pushing it around 10 oclock just being in the store (running though the ampeg pr410). i guess it is heavily over rated. what about the eden wt-400 head? is that one actuly 400 watts?

I don't know what the SVT is rated at. But the volume difference you'll hear between a 300 vs a 400 watt amp is hardly noticeable.

12. embellisher

But the difference between the volume you will get out of those alleged 300 Ampeg watts and the genuine 400 Eden watts will be audible to your ears.

Too bad you can't demo an Eden, Muttluck.

13. well like i said in my original post, i'm going up to seattle early december, so then i'll be able to try out EVERYTHING seeing how bass North West is up there. and if i decided to buy my amp then, i'm gonna walk out with the head, and have them ship me the cab (that way i only have to pay shipping for the cab, and not the amp head too.)

14. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    >But the difference between the volume you will get out of those alleged 300 Ampeg watts and the genuine 400 Eden watts will be audible to your ears.

Have you actually tested both? I tried a number of Ampegs and thought that they were kind of weak but I have only my subjective opinion. The fact is, that my old Acoustic 370 sounded considerably louder than the Ampeg. Actually it seems louder than a lot of the modern amps - watts not withstanding.

15. Davo737

Davo737

Feb 29, 2000
    Syracuse, NY
    I've switched from an SVTIII-Pro to an Eden WT-300, and the volume difference is tremendous. In my opinion, the Eden is a superior amp in every way. Although, I can't say as to whether or not this comparison applies to every other ampeg, having never played the II or IV pro.

Regards,
    Davo

16. embellisher

Not A/B. But I have A/B'd the Ampeg B5R(350 watts) vs. the WT400(400) and the Eden was more than noticeably louder in that comparison.

17. Ah, yes, but the Acoustic amps were rated at 5% total harmonic distortion--not quite SVT furry, but close. All that distortion will make your sound apparently larger. Also, the Acoustic amps had a frequency response hump at around 250Hz, according to Steve Rabe; it appears that Eden amps do, if my WT-300 is anything to go by. The more low midrange in your signal, the more your ear will hear it, and the less power will be wasted on sub-bass frequencies that you can't hear very well. The SVT-III and SVT-3 have a serious dip in the low midrange; they give an Eden speaker cabinet almost flat response, which is utterly heretical given that Eden cabs are known for its low-mid "grunt."

18. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    >Not A/B. But I have A/B'd the Ampeg B5R(350 watts) vs. the WT400(400) and the Eden was more than noticeably louder in that comparison.

Interesting. I hope everyone understands that my question was not posed because I doubt anyone I sincerely wanted to know.

19. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    >Ah, yes, but the Acoustic amps were rated at 5% total harmonic distortion--not quite SVT furry, but close. All that distortion will make your sound apparently larger. Also, the Acoustic amps had a frequency response hump at around 250Hz, according to Steve Rabe; it appears that Eden amps do, if my WT-300 is anything to go by. The more low midrange in your signal, the more your ear will hear it, and the less power will be wasted on sub-bass frequencies that you can't hear very well. The SVT-III and SVT-3 have a serious dip in the low midrange; they give an Eden speaker cabinet almost flat response, which is utterly heretical given that Eden cabs are known for its low-mid "grunt."

I'm sorry to say that I'm about not very knowledgeable about technical matters. Basically I understand you to say that there is a reason that the Acoustic sounds louder than the Ampegs.

20. Doug

Doug

Apr 5, 2000
    Buffalo, N.Y.
    Damn Mutt, this is an easy one.

Let's see:
    Eden WT400 vs. SVTIII

Winner Eden WT400

Eden 410" vs. Ampeg 410"

Winner Eden 410

Nothing against Ampegs, because ya know I like em'. But if I had the money and choice between these, I'd go Eden.
    Of course you can get an old SVT.:D;)
    That makes the decision REAL easy!!