1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Svt-350h VS ashdown mag

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by callingltu, May 16, 2011.

1. callingltu

callingltu

Jan 18, 2011
    Hi guys,

So i have ashdown EB-180 (which is ashdown mag just with less power) and ashdown mag 410 cab. One my friend has suggested me to trade my ashdown eb-180 combo to his ampeg svt-350h head made in USA. What do you guys think? Personally i am happy with my ashdown cab and external 410 cabinet. But that ampeg also looks pretty nice offer. And i am a bit worried that my cab is 8oms and that ampeg head is 350w@ 4oms and 200w@8oms.

What would you guys do? How reliable is that old svt? :)

P.s. I was thinking of selling my combo and buying mag-300 head. That's why i made that title :)

Cheers

2. callingltu

callingltu

Jan 18, 2011
    up

3. callingltu

callingltu

Jan 18, 2011
    up

4. mazdah

mazdah

Jan 29, 2010
    Kalisz, Poland
    Well it's actually all about personal preferences.
    Me, I like Ampeg with my Precision, great Dunn, Jamerson, Waters vibe and I like Ashdown with my Jazz bass (Guy Pratts vibe:)
    Try to play them both before you make your decision:)

5. callingltu

callingltu

Jan 18, 2011
    Yeah i know abotu personal taste.

But it's more, what about the power of both of those, and reliability

6. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    Im not really a fan of the solidstate ampegs. Id keep your ashdown even though its under powered... Is your cab a 4 or 8 ohm cab? since you are pairing it with with a combo im guessing its an 8 ohms. which means with that ampeg head you will be getting 20 watts more. Thats not even a noticable volume increase. Ampegs are usually reliable though but so are ashdowns so the decision is up to you.

7. OK...here goes....I have played through several 350s and I even owned one for a short time.

That having been said - I never liked them - the 350 that I owned I eventually sold to a buddy for a couple hundred bucks. They just didn't seem to have enough "get up and go" for me. :bawl:

I normally play through either a SVT4Pro or a HSVT-CL so obviously, I am an Ampeg guy but the 350H just didn't do it for me. Nothing "wrong" with them per se, just not much power...

Hope this helps! :)

8. Barely Oakley

Barely Oakley Banned

May 10, 2011
    I actually use a SVT-350h with a SVT-15E and a 2x10 Cab when I have outdoors gigs and it is plenty loud enough, but if he uses a SVT4Pro he definitely wouldn't be satisfied because that is 1200 watts. I also love the sound I get out of it with my precision.
    YouTube - Terri Clark Poor Poor Pitiful Me Cover
    I've seen many 350h's for sale for about $300 so if the price is great, get it.

9. JasonLamb

JasonLamb

Aug 17, 2007
    the svt 350 is a dog.....look for a used gk rb800 or go with the ashdown..