Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Svt 350h

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by spyde223, May 4, 2001.

1. spyde223

spyde223

Apr 11, 2000
    Dumas, Texas
    I was looking into updating my rig and buying an Ampeg SVT 350H. Please give me some feedback on the quality of this head or another one better in the same price range, under 800. I'll be putting it through a 2x10 and a 1x15.

ps http://www.bassnw.com/ is the cheapest place to buy anything

2. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    I would suggest you get the B2R instead. It's the EXACT SAME amp as the SVT350H except that it's rackmountable, so it's lighter, cheaper, and less prone to getting knobs/sliders sheared off. I have a B2R and I think it's excellent for an inexpensive solid-state head (I paid $489). I run it through an SWR 1x15/2x10 setup and it sounds great and is pretty loud--good for medium sized rooms but not quite enough power for outdoor shows without a PA.

I think the quality of my B2R is pretty good-I know it's made by the same company that makes Crate stuff (SLM)-but it's pretty sturdy and I haven't had any problems with it besides a noisy fan. And it has a 5 year transferable warranty.

The B4 head is also worth checking out if you want more power (up to 1000 watts bridged into 4 ohms)--it costs about $850. IMO it's a better deal than the B5 dual-channel head and the SVT3PRO, which cost about the same but only put out 350 watts into 4 ohms.

Once you get above the $800 range the choices increase considerably-Eden, Trace Elliot, Ashdown and such, not to mention separate preamp/poweramp setups and used gourmet gear. I'd recommend trying out as many different brands a possible before plunkin' down the cash.

3. TonyS

TonyS

Dec 13, 1999
    USA
    Everything that Winston said is accurate in my experience. I also feel that the B2r is a great amp for the money. Mine is well made and has a nice variety of sounds available .... been very reliable for the last 2 1/2 years.

Best Wishes.

4. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    Keep in mind however that the 350H has the SVT tube preamp section whereas the B*R series have a solid state preamp.

The B2r is not identical to the 350.

5. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    Sorry ihixulu, but The SVT350H IS identical to the B2-R, check out the Ampeg site, it says: preamp - SS which means solid state (no tubes)
    Only difference is looks - if you want a modern, value for money, reliable and not too heavy solid state amp which looks like an old tube head, the SVT350H is made for you, but it makes no sense IMHO (useless extra weight, exposed sliders and knobs)

Matthias

6. TonyS

TonyS

Dec 13, 1999
    USA
    That's the way I see it.

Tony

7. I just took delivery of a new B2r and Bag-End
    S15-D from Chuck Levins Washington Music Center, If your considering a B2r you will not beat their prices anywhere . To the point , the fan is noisier than I'm used to but not really a problem in a live situation. It is a nice sounding SS head for the money and since this was bought as my version of a back-up combo rig it fits the bill perfectly . I shopped for months and A/Bed several combo's and SS heads and found the B2r to be best in its price point.

8. spyde223

spyde223

Apr 11, 2000
    Dumas, Texas
    thanks so much for opening my eyes!!

9. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    I just got a brand new SVT-350H for $289 at GC because some floor troll sheared off some of the plastic tips on the faders.

For that price, I'll go with the stupid, ugly, do-nothing cabinet over the rackmount unit.

It has the usual terrible Ampeg cabinetry and final assembly, but it seems to be OK in terms of working. I went inside it to see about replacing the faders only to discover that the ape in St. Louis who put the thing together stripped TWO of the PCB mounts, so I'll have to drill off the screw heads from the outside to remove it to accomplish the repair.

I do think that the 350W@4Ohms is probably a total con, but I can't prove it. I'd love to see a tech's report on this. At some point I'm going to set up a test bench, but I don't have a dummy load to handle that kind of wattage.

A lot depends on getting the gain up enough to trigger the peak LED, which is about what you want, I think, in order to get any volume out of this.

If anyone's actually bench-tested this amp, let me know what you found, OK?

Thanks!

10. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Hmm. OK, so at the end of all that nobody knows what a SVT-350H or B-2R actually puts out then?

It would have been nice to have gotten more details on the test that was done on the other Ampeg. Getting a meaningful RMS figure is a bit complicated. I've got a query out on a.g.b and a.g.a about this, so it will be interesting to see what the techs have to say, if anything.

I guess my real answer is that there's nothing wrong with my particular amp, it's just that everyone suspects them of being underpowered.

Thanks for your response.

11. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I had an SVT-350H and loved the tone...it seemed to run out of steam pretty quickly though. Be sure to use an efficient cabinet to get the most out of it. Maybe it's the darn limiter.

Yes, it's the same amp as the B2-R on the inside. I've seen both really cheap on the used market. Mine was nearly new and I got it for under $230 from a Music Go Round store a year or so ago.

Enjoy!

12. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    The Ampeg B5R is not the same price as the SVT3-Pro is only 50 bucks more than the B2R if you wanna see for yourself check out www.mattsmusic.com.

13. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    > Mine was nearly new and I got it for under $230
    > from a Music Go Round store a year or so ago.

Yeah, it's funny how these overpriced Ampegs are cheap used. Everyone told me not to pay over $300 for this one, even though it was new and under warranty. At that price, I think this is a good enough deal, but I sure don't see paying $700 or more for it.

What's a good Ampeg box for this and how much should I go for a clean used one?

14. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Well if you read the whole thread then you read that the ampeg tested put out exactly what was printed on the back and in the owners manual so..... my scientific guess for the SVT350H would be 350 watts into 4 ohms just as stated on the back and in the manual. And my guess for the B4r would be ...............uh.... .........
    350 watts into 4 ohms ;)

15. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    Has anyone played the B5R? Opinions?

16. Yuppers. Used a guy's at a gig w/ an ooolllldddd ampeg 4x10. Just a *touch* of overdrive really puts that thing into cool-tone mode.

Worth at least trying out.

17. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    Yeah I like it. Would you say it's better to get than B5R over the B2R? For only 50 bucks more you get 500 watts @ 2 ohms and an Overdrive circuit minus the Graphic EQ...

18. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    > Well if you read the whole thread then you read
    > that the ampeg tested put out exactly what was
    > printed on the back and in the owners manual
    > so.....

Yeah, but it really wasn't a meaningful "test" as related.

I mean, assuming they really tested it (and I have known of many similar cases where techs didn't and said they did) what did they have to do to get the thing goosed up to the rated output? It's not that hard to overdrive an amp up to some impressive output if you overlook some insane THD figure.

Ampeg, as far as I know, gives no THD for the rated output in the specs, which is extremely suspicious in itself.

If I'm mistaken about this, I'd love to know what the THD is at the rated 350WRMS @ 4-Ohms.

19. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Brother, isn't that a fact! :D

I thought the amp was damaged when I first fired it up, then eventually figured out it was just fan noise. I'm still not sure if the electrical noise of the fan is being picked up by the circuitry or if it's all just acoustic noise.

Someone helpfully pointed out that if you can hear it you can at least be sure it's working! Good point...the only failures I heard about with the B-2R/SVT-350H have been due to fan/thermostat failures resulting in cooked innards.

I don't think I'll be using this head for studio work, though.:D