Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SVT-3pro or SVT-350H?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Reverend G-Money, Jul 23, 2002.

1. i've read many posts on here about how the SVT-3pro is underpowered. has anyone compared them to the SVT-350H firsthand? I purchased the SVT-350H this weekend and i'm thinking of taking it back and trading for the SVT-3pro.. but, if it is indeed as underpowered as most posts say, am i better off keeping the SVT-350H? the 350H isn't very portable (ouch my back)... some posts have said the B-2R is the same head as the 350H, but it was night and day when i tried the 2 together (they were out of the SVT-3pro when i bought the 350H, so i opted for the 350H over the B-2R)... any opinions?

2. forget my initial post i guess, i exchanged the SVT-350H for a B-4R and that was a much better decision. if anybody cares i actually called SLM and they told me that yes, the B-2R is the same as the SVT-350H minus the clumsy box.. anybody thinking of purchasing the SVT-350H, do yourself a favor and get the B-2R, you'll have more than enough left over for a nice rack to mount it in... the "classic" casing is no more than $100 worth of plywood and cosmetics i guess..

3. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Good move. I traded my new SVT3 pro in for a B4r. If you liked the sound of the SVT350H and your B4r, you probably wouldn't have liked the sound of the SVT3 pro. (Gritty distoreted tone IMO) The difference in power between the SVT3(450 watts) and the 350H (350 watts) would probably not been noticable, but as you have already found out the b4r is Much more powerful.

4. i was pretty happy with it in GC.. i'll give it a run through tonight at the studio. you obviously like yours, have you ever run it with just a single cab, or did you always use it with 2 cabs? not in bridged mode i mean.. i have a single 4 ohm cab, and another 8 ohm cab, but i wanted to run the 4ohm by itself. does it have to be run bridged mono or can i power a single cab using the 1/4" speaker out on channel A? the guy at GC really knew nothing, he couldn't help me..

5. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    You can run anything you want from each channel as long as you don't go below 4 ohms per channel in stereo full range mode. (not bi-amped (high/low) and not bridged) So you could run your 4 ohm cab out of channel A and your 8 ohm cab out of channel b (or other way around) with no problem full range stereo mode. But there is no way to turn one channel up louder than the other unless you are using bi amp mode. so one speaker cab may end up sounding louder than the other. i hope that made sense. Do you have the manual? it shows different ways to use the amp with different speker config. on the last couple of pages. feel free to email me with questions if you want. happy to help another Ampeg B4r user. Enjoy! :D

Also yes you can run just one cab out of one side (amp A) of the amp and have nothing running from the other ( amp B) with no problems. Solid state power amps can handle that.

6. yeah!!!! the amp kicks arse!! i'm pretty impressed.. can't wait to run another cab and get full output out of it. possibly an 18?!?!?!????? hmmm.. that sounds like fun... the stereo/mono and biamp/full range switches are very small. it was hard for me to tell if they were "in" or "out". it's only about 1/16" difference, so in a dimly lit studio it was hard to see.. so cb56 do you use the footswitch feature? if so what kind of footswitch did you buy?

7. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    The footswitch is just to turn the EQ on and off right? I just leave my EQ on all the time.

8. yeah i think it is just for the EQ section.. i know that the mute function could be controlled as well.. wasn't sure if you used it or not. i like the EQ and without, so i might look into it..