Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SVT-3pro+poweramp+Pro-410hlf?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassteban, Jun 19, 2005.

1. I've been playing through an SVT-3pro into a PR-410hlf. Lately I've noticed farting when really hitting hard below(low)E. Would it be possible or advisable to run a line from the preamp out to a power amp & then into the 4x10 to get the same tone/preamp w/greater power, thus greater headroom, thus cut the farting?

2. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Doing that is exactly what the preamp out is for. My only concern would be running the amp without a load while using the separate power amp.

Maybe you should e-mail Ampeg?

Good luck!

:D

Joe.

3. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Sounds like more of a cab problem, unless your amp has the clip light on. Ampeg cabs aren't exactly known for a lot of lows...

4. I may contact Ampeg. I'm just wondering if the cab's high power-handling(1,000 watt, I think)needs more muscle to push a big fat low note cleanly. Lowtonejoe, I also wondered about the speaker load. I was hoping someone had experienced the same problem, & could share their solution. Thanks, guys.

5. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Your amp puts out 450wrms into 4 ohms right? The PR410HLF is good for 600wrms, don't worry about 'program' or 'music power' ratings, rms is the true baseline.

See this link.

Something mentioned by other Ampeg owners (who were complaining about a lack of power) was to run the master wide open as possible and use the pre to control the volume. I only read that on this forum, I don't own an Ampeg but I thought you would want to know.

Give that a shot. Otherwise more power may be in your future.

A hint, though. Don't try to go too low, don't worry about knocking the dust off the rafters. EQ down the really low lows and focus on the 150hz on up bands and see if there is an improvement. You should really notice a difference, especially in a band setting.

:D

Joe.

6. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    the 410hlf can produce a ton of low end. turn off the ultra low... use the eq instead and keep an eye on the input gain... the light should flicker when you dig in, but should not be on all the time. you can use a 3 pro with no speakers hooked up to it. I used to record direct using just the xlr out.

bassteban- i just sent you a PM