1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SVT -3pros really too quiet?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassking511, Oct 22, 2006.

1. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Not if you turn on the EQ switch and crank the master slider for the EQ. Then they are pretty damn loud! I have one for sale in the classifieds for cheap (shameless plug).. :smug:

2. iknow u have one 4 sale..the funny thing is isaw urs and became interested lol:smug:

the onlyu problem is i wont have $ for like 2-3weeks:crying: :mad:

3. sedan_dad

sedan_dad

Feb 5, 2006
    Columbus,Ohio
    I had a 3 pro for about a month and just couldn't get the sound I wanted.
    I went to my GC to try the 3 pro through different cabinets thinking it was a cabinet problem.
    The 3 pro sounded really good untill i tried a CL through the same cabinet.
    It was like night and day.The CL made the 3 pro sound like a transister radio.
    I couldn't sell that thing fast enough.
    I got $650 for it(what I had bought it for)and added another $200 and got my CL.
    I learned my lesson.

4. If the choice is only between just those two amps, then I would go with the Kustom Groove Bass 1200. But combine the SVT 3 Pro with efficient speakers and reasonable EQ and it will be pretty loud.

5. jerry

jerry Too old for a hiptrip Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I had a SVT3 for a long time, nice sounding amp but I think the wattage they give is a little on the optimistic side.;)

6. main_sale

main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    I've had my SVT-3Pro for five years now and it has served me very well. I play it through G-B 410XB or NeoX 212T and I've never needed or wanted more power. It's plenty loud.

7. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    I have a few hard numbers for you from experience, for what it's worth. I've been using my svt-3 pro with a single E/V 15L cab for two years now with the same classic rock cover band (drums, lead gtr, rhythm gtr, bass and vox) and we are VERY consistent with our sound levels since we routinely check overall levels with an SPL meter. Our entire band level in our studio and also on stage at gigs is always around 106 db A-weighted with peaks around 113 db. I set the input of the Ampeg so that the clip light just flickers and then set the master volume at around 5 or 6 and that's more than enough volume for the bass to be heard loudly and clearly along with the drums and guitars (guitars are each 100 watt tube combos).

This assumes the ability to run everything (including the bass) through a PA as we sometimes do, if the venue requires more volume than about 115 db. I know most rock bands play louder than this on stage, typically 118db to over 125db for some heavy metal bands but you may or may not need to depending on what your band prefers.

Bottom line is I've measured the output of my rig turned up to as loud as it will reasonably go before distortion and measured 120+db @ 3 feet away. Some will say that's too quiet but this geezer doesn't.

8. ive never had any problem with my svt3pro being too quiet. but ive been told that too... but usually by people who wouldnt know... i figure the best way to find out if its too quite for you is to try it out...

9. I had a 3PRO for a yr & it was a fine amp-it's Solid state(yes I know its got tube pre) but it's a good amp & it goes pretty darn loud-easily loud enough to make U need ear plugs-if U care about yr hearing-I don't;-) !!! I play in a 7 piece band w/ horns etc & NEVER had a prob. had AMPLE room to spare! I still had 2 get rid of it for a real tube amp BUT it had a lovely tone & was loud enough Easily!

10. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

I used an SVTIII Pro for a couple of years in a praise and worship band powering a Peavey 115. That is really a nice warm preamp in the Ampeg. It was nice to have the footswitchable EQ too. I have since moved on to a Genz Benz GBE600 which has a bit more tonal flexibility and switchable channels which was a feature I wanted.

11. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    The rehearsal studio that I jam at has STV 3-Pros and I really dislike them. It's hard to get a decent sound out of them and I too, think their power rating is very optimistic.

12. Johnny5

Johnny5

Mar 5, 2006
    Calgary, Canada
    I have one which I use with just a 410 cab and it cranks.
    I fear for people's hearing who say the 3-Pro is too quiet.

13. EXACTLY....... Use it w/ a 4 ohm set up-to get max.power- use the EQ volume as well & U should have PLENTY of volume.
    I like the tone too- each to his own...- but I could dial in a nice sound for just about any gig I had--- Jazz, funk, soul, rock, metal! Just up 2 U whther or not U like the sound of the amp- I goes loud enough easy!

14. Yes - I had one for a short time - got rid of it for that very reason.
    They also suffer from noise/hiss problems in 2nd handy's.
    I liked the amp......BUT it just wasn't loud enough to compete with my 120w Tube guitarist and rock drummer.
    I've heard many people suggest cutting the lows, boosting the mids to get more volume - but what if you want to BOOST those lows further?
    I personally got myself a cheap 1600w poweramp (dual channel) and a SVPCL pre.
    But even a decent pedal could be used for a preamp.

Good Luck,
    smo

15. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    Assuming you have a properly matched cabinet setupl, If you need more volume than an SVT III Pro will produce, you are creating problems for your sound guy and muddying up your band's mix. There is no reason in the world for that much stage volume.

16. vroc38

vroc38

Jan 5, 2006
    Seattle
    I used one for years, and never had a problem being loud enough, even in loud rock bands with cranked dual rectifiers and the loudest drummer I ever worked with. IME you can drive the input gain further into the red before distortion than you might expect, which makes a tremendous difference in the volume the 3 Pro will put out.

17. Being loud enough is relative and arbitrary... only the player will know if this amp is loud enough.

In my experience with being provided this amp as backline on occasion, it is not in the same league volume-wise with other relatively small 2 space amps like the Thunderfunk, Eden405 or WT550, Ashdown500, etc. I believe it's rated at 400 watts RMS which is a touch less than these other heads, but it sounds like it has many fewer watts to me.

It will be loud if you don't mind a rather woolly, grindy tone (which is part of the Ampeg voicing). However, if you crank it up, it does not seem to stay as clean as it should given it's published power ratings.

Also, at 275 into an 8ohm cab, I believe some of the comments on this site are based on it driving an 8ohm cab versus a 4ohm. At this low wattage level, that extra 125 watts can make quite a difference in keeping things clean as you get louder.

IME and IMO.

18. It's not really about pure volume, it's about wacking a string and not having the amp clip... it's about full, deep bass, etc. versus pure volume. I agree, there is no reason that a 400 watt amp into a decent SPL 4ohm cab shouldn't be plenty... it's just this particular 400 watt amp sounds more like a 200 watt amp to me.. again, IME and IMO.

19. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    Yeah, that's true. And I agree that the 450 watts that Ampeg claims here don't seem to generate the same SPL as other similarly-sized amps. Guess in my old age, I get a little crusty and cranky about some guy claiming his amp doesn't have enough power and you check his eq and see the dreaded "smiley-face". I've tried to explain the Magic Of Midrange to so many young rock players, and have been ignored so many times....

Go on, make that mud kid.....