1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SVT 4 and 6 Pro, which one?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by IanEllis, Feb 27, 2008.

1. IanEllis

IanEllis

Jan 28, 2008
    I have the opportunity to save some money on some Ampeg Gear and I am not sure which one to go with. My under standing is that the best way to use the 4 pro is mono bridged and I am assuming same for the 6 pro.

The Cab(s) would I best off with getting two 4x10 hlf? or will I end up loosing some power? If for some reason I was to get the 6x10 hlf and crank it up It would start to fart when mono bridged? I was thinking about getting the 8x10 but it lacks tweeters which seem to be integral to getting a nice punch for slap bass.

I live in a relatively smaller town and none of the shops currently carry Ampeg and I don't have the opportunity or time to get out to Toronto to try out so I have been spending a couple months researching my as off, sorry if this is annoying all help is appreciated.

2. Eminor3rd

Eminor3rd BLAAAAARRGGHH!!

Feb 10, 2008
    NYC
    Absolutely play before you buy. I'd get the 6PRO, much lighter.

3. IanEllis

IanEllis

Jan 28, 2008
    Weight is not a concern, I played the SVT 3 and my understanding is it is supposed to be the smaller version of the 4?

4. johnpaulbass

johnpaulbass

Nov 2, 2005
    Slovenia
    I had the svt5 pro for 3 years..
    nothin' wrong with it..

had the occasion to svt4...

no turning back man...
    the ultimate ampeg head IMO...

(not counting the tube series..)

5. +1,000 on the SVT4Pro

I use it with the 6X10HLF and couldn't be happier, although it should be noted that weight WILL be an issue....but if you're game.....go for it!!

As for the 6X10 "farting out"....never happens to me, but I've rarely been anywhere where I had to turn it up THAT loud! if you know what I mean!

I think (if memory holds) that I had it about half-way (I was "demonstrating" it's power to my guitar players). They got the message real quick....now they don't even think about trying to run me off the stage....I'll make their ears bleed......MUUUHHAAAA!!!!

6. torkelboy

torkelboy

Feb 24, 2008
    I have to agree with person above me!

I aswell use the 4pro with the 610hlf, a fantastic combination!

I run it monobridged, i can turn master volume to about 3/4 without engaging the limiter or make the cab fart! even though my eq is boosted and gain at 3 o'clock.

i usually keep my voulume in center position to keep up with guitarist and drummer!

ohh, i play an active 4string ibanez.

You won't be dissapointed if you go with this combination.

As of the 6pro, i have never tried it so i can't give u any insight there, but my guess is that you'll perhaps miss the graphic EQ.

7. K-Funk

K-Funk

Sep 24, 2007
    Auburn Hills, MI
    Here's my theory: Once you've owned an all-tube SVT, every other amp feels Markbass in weight. I can easily one-hand my Mesa 400+ after owning an SVT-CL.

But between those two heads, it's up to you. If you want Eden-esque flexibility and modern tones, get the 6. For sheer power and flexibility with cabinets, get the 4-Pro. I've owned both, and I preferred the 4-Pro simply because it sounds more Ampeg, whereas the the 6-Pro is a bit too bright and polished. But, if you want a powerful EQ section, and only plan on running two 8-ohm or one 4-ohm cab, look no further than the 6-Pro.

Hope that helped.

8. peterbright

peterbright

Jan 23, 2007
    On The Bayou
    I run my Ampeg SVT 4 Pro dual mono with one side feeding an SVT 610 hlf and the other feeding two SVT 15E's. It has more flexibility than the 6 Pro IMVHO.

9. Overdrive777

Overdrive777

May 29, 2006
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Endorsing Artist: Mesa/Boogie
    Keep in mind that the SVT6 only handles down to a 4ohm load. Two 410hlf's would be 2 ohm...

Soundwise, I really like the SVT6 better than the SVT4 IMHO.

10. bassermaniac

bassermaniac

Jun 30, 2007
    svt-4.i like the eq