SVT-4 or SVP-Pro rack setup??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mad Subwoofer, Apr 27, 2002.

1. The SVT-4 has the juice I need but the SVP has that cool tube gain knob and 5 tubes as opposed to the SVT-4's meager 3 tube compliment. My question is this; What synergy happens with an "all-in-one" as opposed to a rack setup? The SVT-4 is tidy and neat, the rack system a wee more "fussy"...not that this matters really. The SVT-3 is underpowered from what I hear and doesn't have the flexibility a rack or SVT-4 would offer so that's not an option.
    Any help you folks could offer would much appreciated, thanks.
  2. Yeah "formerly known as"....You know the story i'm sure. I will try swapping my Mesa's preamp tubes as a last resort and then it goes.
  3. Kurt M.

Kurt M.

Dec 11, 2001
    Reading, PA

I currently use the Ampeg SVT Pro 3. After 3 years of use I have come to the conclusion that it is under powered. But I like the Ampeg tone. My choice is to go with the SVP Preamp/power amp approach. This way if you need more juice down the road you don't have to sell the whole thing. I've come to the conclusion that, for me, the SVT4 Pro wouldn't have enough power. Now that I understand power amps better I see why many times you need more power than you think. Many amps don't put out near their rated power in the lower frequency range. To get a low B (30Hz) going takes alot of power and most amps aren't up to the challenge. So, having 700-1000W to drive your average 4/10 is many times what is needed. I was amazed at what happened when I used my current cabinet with a 700W amp. I thought it was way too much power. Wow was I wrong. It sounded like a different cabinet. So, it's watts that you need so I say stay flexible and buy a seperate preamp/power amp.
  4. incubus2432

Mar 21, 2002
    Grafton, Ohio
    I like the versatility of a rack set-up. I have the SVP-Pro and an Ashly FET-2000M power amp and have no plans to change it. I had an SVP-Pro previously that I sold.....tried a bunch of different integrated heads (SVT4-Pro included) and a few preamps then I decided I wanted/needed and SVP-Pro again and am content. I looked for something better than the SVP and I ended up coming back to it and have been content ever since.
    I won't use terms like "warm', "punchy", "thick" or anything....that is too subjective. It cuts through the mix great and has a nice well rounded tone and is quite versatile for my needs (loud metal band). Try it out from some place that will give you a trial period and you have nothing to lose. :D
  5. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I am personally totally happy with my SVT4Pro, but going the other route (pre+power amp) would also be a good option. It all depends on what you wanna do. I won't recommend one way or the other, because they are both great options.
  6. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    If the SVT has a DI out, use that to send a signal to a poweamp. Why? because then you have the studly power of a poweramp, the tone of the SVT, and in emergencies, say, the power amp poops out, you can use the SVT to power the cab(s), and still get the job done.
  7. I was thinking of the SVT4 option just because it is a tidy package but the consensus seems to be for the rack setup...? I do need something portable and compact. Too bad the SVT3 doesn't have the "cojones" in the power dept. I dig that easy to get a great sound from. Looks like a power amp/ preamp rack could be in my near future.
    Thanks folks.
  8. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW

What you need is POWER. My cabs put waaay more umph out with all the power I have now. I think the pre on the M-2000 is killer for fat bass, but I just doesn't have enough juice. IMO, 625 watts just doesn't cut it for dub...
  9. Naaaah..I've got power to spare "formerly known as" (I'm going to hassle you about that one forever you know :p ) The 625w is a continuous rating with a 1200w peak; power hasn't been an issue for me (yet!) I understand where you are coming from tho'. Less power means less headroom and less dynamics. I just don't get a very deep tone from my Mesa tube side preamp. The Ampeg SVT3 pro head I tried was very easy to dial up a rich sound out of and with that 33hz slider was perfect for my style. I have never liked the sound of the two preamps blended. I'll try swappin' the tubes then that's it. I suppose I could get the SVT3 and an extra power amp...but that's too much.