1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SVT 4-Pro/ Ampeg 8-10 Question.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by aweakafter, Apr 11, 2006.

1. aweakafter

aweakafter

Apr 11, 2006
    I recently purchased a SVT 4-Pro and Ampeg 8-10. I just have some general questions. I want to hook up the 4 pro properly so its not utilizing its full potential. Should I run it dual?Also I am wondering if you guys have any good tips for getting the most out of this set up.

2. Hi, you have a lot of firepower. Read the manual and you'll get lots of options. Choose what's best for you.

3. I think the most common option is to run it in bridged mono via the correctly wired speakon connector

4. tlwaps

tlwaps

Feb 13, 2006
    Ohio
    Hey man, I have the exact same set up as you. The way I ran mine was out of the Power Amp A or B section into the mono inputs on the back of the cab. I think it sounds better and louder going this way because you're running 2 4x10 cabs instead of running 1 8x10 cab if that makes sense. I've found that that's the best way. Mine is ran with 1/4" jacks and not speakons, you could try speakons and see how that works.

5. tlwaps: I think if you run it that way, you are only using one side of the amp, and not both... you should only be getting half the power you could be getting...?

6. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    To get the most potential power into the cabinet, you will want to run mono.

Set the 4PRO for mono output, and use the 4ohm input (mono) on the speaker. That gives you all the 1200W possible output.

If you separate the cabinet halves, they are each 8 ohms, so you are cutting total power in half. Nothing wrong with it, but you leave some power headroom unused....