1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SVT 4 Pro and Aggie GS412 help please

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by punky, Feb 16, 2008.

1. punky

punky

May 26, 2007
    TeXas
    :help:

Does anyone else here use this combination?
    If so, I could use your assistance.
    I still cannot dial in a sound I am satisfied with. It's either too boomy or too trebly and I just cannot seem to find a happy medium. I'm beginning to wonder if I should get rid of the Ampeg.
    I'm using a Speakon cable also and it doesn't seem as loud as I thought it would be either. I've read a little about rewiring the cable to meet the mono bridged criteria but I don't see how I can do that with this cable.
    My life suX right now because of this.
    Please let me know where ALL your settings on your amp are and if you are happy with this combination.
    Thanks in advance.

2. bagman

bagman

Sep 28, 2005
    SE Florida
    I do not use the Ampeg. I do however use the Aguilar GS 412. I do use a GK 1001 RB Mk II.

You problem may not be the cab.I recommend trying the cab with different head. I have not heard a negative comment about the cab until now.

3. amos

amos

Oct 23, 2003
    SE Portland Oregon
    Hey punky, sorry to hear you are having trouble. I know some one who has had the same problem. You need a 4 pole speakon connector and you need to take the wire attached to the -1 pole and move it to the +2 pole on the amp end. Do not change anything on the speaker end. Good luck. The SVT 4 Pro puts out 900/1200 @8/4 ohms respectively bridged, so you should not see the clip light if it's working properly, and it should be plenty loud. Sorry for the edit, I did the original post on my blackberry.
    Amos

4. amos

amos

Oct 23, 2003
    SE Portland Oregon
    Hey punky sorry to hear you are having trouble. I know some one who has had similar problem. I don't know what the pinount is to run the amp bridge mono but most likely the the You need a 4 pole speakon cable and you need to take the wire attached to the -1 pole and move it to the +2 pole. Do not change anything on the speaker end. Good luck
    Amos

5. im confused, i dont understand the pole speakon thing. i have a speakon cable for my svt4pro, and i just hooked it up to my cab, and started playing. is there something i should check, or be aware of?

6. amos

amos

Oct 23, 2003
    SE Portland Oregon
    Okay I would take your cable to a local tech and ask him to wire the cable for bridging and then set the switch on the back of the amp to bridge mode. If you only have two pole (pin) connector you may have to buy a four pin.

7. Jeff A

Jeff A

Oct 22, 2005
    CT
    With the SVT4, in order to bridge and get full power, you have to change the wiring in the Speakon connector (on the amp end only).

A standard Speakon cable has both ends wired 1+ = "positive" and 1- = "negative". You need to change the conector wiring on the amp side to 1+ = "positive" and 2+ = "negative". Once it is wired correctly you will have 1200 watts available instead of the 490 you have now.

http://www.ampeg.com/pdf/SVT4PRO.pdf

See page 12 in manual. They don't make it very clear but they do show the wiring requirement.

8. punky

punky

May 26, 2007
    TeXas
    Thank you all for replying.
    The cable I'm using is this:

http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/regular/5/5/2/224552.jpg

You can pay more, but you won't find a better cable than Core Cable X2 Speakon - Speakon Speaker Cable. Core Cable's design goal was to create the finest cables money can buy, period!

from Musician's Friend.
    Was this a bad choice?
    And yes, my amp is clipping with the master and gain set @ 2 and 12 oclock respectively (normal setting for me).
    It does it at a lower level also.
    I used to run this head through a Hartke 4X10 XL and it seemed fine. I thought getting this Aggie would be a great idea (and I still think it is a great cabinet) but I am getting frustrated.
    Maybe I need a different head. :bawl:

9. heath_r_91

heath_r_91

Jun 3, 2006
    Topeka Area, Kansas
    Endorse:Artus-Basshanger-Dava-EC-Hartke-Orange-InEarz-SHS-Tigi
    My suggestions:

*no ultra high, ultra low, or bright. All switches OUT

*graphic eq switch on, turn up far right slider all the way

*keep rotary eq flat, adjust with graphic

*set gain so peak light comes on occasionally, but not for extended periods

*keep compression low (Below 11 o'clock)

*rewire your speakon

*DO NOT scoop mids

*MONOBRIDGE the amp (middle connector)

*Make sure it the button on back is set for monobridge

that's just what I can think of now, I'm sure someone else will have some input. I have the SVT-610HLF with that same head and it pushes my pants back against my legs from all the air it pushes (seriously, no exaggeration)

10. punky

punky

May 26, 2007
    TeXas
    Thanks Heath. I will try it that way as soon as I figure out my Speakon problem. I'm looking @ it now.

11. heath_r_91

heath_r_91

Jun 3, 2006
    Topeka Area, Kansas
    Endorse:Artus-Basshanger-Dava-EC-Hartke-Orange-InEarz-SHS-Tigi
    if you still haven't figured out how to open up your speakon just hold on to the tip and then twist the blue thing. Don't worry, you wont break it. Then everything should just kind of slide away and you will be able to see the wires, and be able to see exactly what everyone has been saying about moving the wires. You will only need a screw driver for moving the wires.

12. amos

amos

Oct 23, 2003
    SE Portland Oregon
    Punky: you DO NOT need a different head. Both jbark and myself gave you instructions on how to fix the situation. If it is really beyond your ability then take the cable to some one who knows how to do it. It sounds a lot more confusing than it is. All you need is a small philips screwdriver. It is frustrating when folks ask for help then do not listen when answers are given. Best of luck,
    Amos

Edit: punky from that picture it appears you have a nl2fc speakon. You need the nl4fc (4 pin) cable to wire for bridging. Unless your cable is properly wired you will be getting only half the power from the amp. Please excuse me for being trite, I did not see the post about having problems opening the speakon as i am on a blackberry.

13. Jeff A

Jeff A

Oct 22, 2005
    CT
    I believe your right. It looks like a 2 conductor speakon connector and not the 4 conductor that he needs.

14. Surly

Surly

Feb 2, 2007
    South Florida
    These guys are great. Remember, when troubleshooting electronics in general, always check the basics first, i.e. connections.

15. JEDI BASS

JEDI BASS Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2008
    Knoxville, TN
    When I bought my used SVT 4, it came with the special mono cable. I don't want to offend Ampeg fans, but I found the heads power output to be overrated, and sold it fairly quickly. I remember all the warnings in the manual about using an incorrect cable for mono, and all the damage that could occur. Which leads me to ask, why not just buy the Ampeg mono cable??? Seems safer than rigging something yourself.

16. jambassist

jambassist

Sep 1, 2002
    Easton, PA
    making a neutrik speakon cable in whatever configuration is a very easy thing to do. why everyone is complicating this is beyond me.

17. punky

punky

May 26, 2007
    TeXas
    That's what I've been trying to say. It's not that I'm stupid. I took the thing apart as instructed and there is no freaking way to unhook any of it.
    "Unscrew the blue thing and everything should slide out" is NOT the way this is constructed. So, with that in mind, I am obviously going to have to get a nl4fc cable.
    Thanks for everyones replies and attempting to understand I am not an idiot.
    I was just not informed of the different types up until now. :D

18. peterbright

peterbright

Jan 23, 2007
    On The Bayou
    The SVT 4 Pro comes with the correct cable for mono bridging if purchased new.

19. punky

punky

May 26, 2007
    TeXas
    I bought mine several years ago new @ Guitar Center. There was no cable.

20. i have a neutrik speakon cable NL4FC. it has the 4 poles in it. i took off the blue thing but i dont see what im supposed to do. maybe im an idiot, but i thought you just had to hook up the cable and put the switch in mono?