1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SVT-4 Pro changes load automatically?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by improvpwnd, Mar 12, 2008.

1. So if I biamp my SVT-4 it says its a min of 2 ohms load for each channel) but stick two 8 ohm cabs to it, will each channel see a 4 ohm load? And when I change to two 4 ohm cabs, will each channel see a 2 ohm load automatically? I mean, I cannot find a manual switch for this anywhere... Also it says '2 ohm minimum load per channel' ...does this mean two 2 ohm cabs can be run on it?

2. peterbright

peterbright

Jan 23, 2007
    On The Bayou
    Each channel's output varies by the cab(s) (600w @ 2 ohms, 490w @ 4 ohms etc). If you have two 4 ohm cabs you could run one on each channel & have up to 490w going to each or hook them both to a single channel & get up to 600w total or 300w to each.

3. fishtx

fishtx Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Genzler Amplification/Spector Basses/Mojo Hand FX
    don't try running a 2 ohm load on this head...I'm pretty sure a 4 ohm load per side is all it will handle...no matter what configuration you run it in (ie biamp, mono-bridge, stereo).

4. Vic Winters

Vic Winters Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Western NY
  5. fishtx

fishtx Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    yea...I know the user manual says "2X900 Watts @ 2ohms (600 watts continous)"...but I'm not sure it's really a good idea...I wouldn't do it with this head...

6. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Feb 26, 2008
    If it says it can do it, I take that to mean that it can do it and there's no reason not to.

7. fishtx

fishtx Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    OK...:)...

8. your money mane

but all in all its just another ampeg.

bleh

9. Vic Winters

Vic Winters Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Western NY
    And to answer your questions.

So if I biamp my SVT-4 it says its a min of 2 ohms load for each channel) but stick two 8 ohm cabs to it, will each channel see a 4 ohm load?

If you stick both cabs in 1 channel, only that channel will see a 4 ohm load, the other won't see a load. If you use 1 cab/channel each channel will see an 8 ohm load.

And when I change to two 4 ohm cabs, will each channel see a 2 ohm load automatically?

Again, 2 cabs in 1 channel and you'll get a 2 ohm load for that channel, but no load on the other. If you use 1 cab/channel, you'll have 4 ohms/channel.

I mean, I cannot find a manual switch for this anywhere...

Sold state power section don't require a switch for different loads.

Also it says '2 ohm minimum load per channel' ...does this mean two 2 ohm cabs can be run on it?

If you run them in the two separate channels, yes.

Bridge mode is different.

10. jimbilly

jimbilly

Apr 19, 2006
    The back of mine says '2ohms minimum load per channel'. It has a stereo/mono switch, if you're running it stereo (one seperate amp per side post crossover), I take it to mean you can in fact run two 2ohm loads, one out of each side. If you're running it mono, of course it's a 2ohm load total.

11. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    If you are running it MONO, you can put a 4 ohm load on it minimum.

That will give each channel "half the load", or 2 ohms, which is fine. Yes you can do that. Yes you can do that routinely.

In fact, running mono at 4 ohms is a bit easier on the unit than 2 ohms per channel, AND as a result, gives you a bit more effective headroom.

Do NOT use a 2 ohm load in mono, that is equal to 1 ohm per channel.

12. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Feb 26, 2008
    Well that certainly was helpful.
    :scowl:

13. So, in stereo, two 2 ohm cabs.. wouldn't that equal 1 ohm to the amp? Or are the power amps (and therefore channels) independent? :confused:

And bridge mode is combining the channels (to maximize power), that is why it wants no less than 4 ohm...?

14. asad137

asad137

Jan 18, 2007
    Minneapolis
    Physicist
    The power amps are independent.

Exactly.

Asad