Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SVT-4 Pro Compressor

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by teedub, Feb 24, 2006.

1. I searched, and searched, but couldn't find anything relating to this one.....so here goes.

Does anyone else find the compressor on the SVT-4 really not that great? I can't seem to find a balance that doesn't gobble up the low end. I'm also finding that it causes a pretty gross (yet light) distortion on lower notes at times

Would you recommend I get a "3rd party" compressor such as the Keeley? Or am I just being too picky now that I have my gear at home? We're taking a well-desrved break right now, and I haven't heard my rig on it's own since I acquired it. I never really could put my finger on the problem until now.

I'm playing a custom luthier-made bass with a P-J Bartolini pup setup, both volumes wide open, and the EQ is flat on the amp.

2. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    When I had an SVT-4, I rarely used the compressor. Using it only seemed to decrease the thunder in my sound.

3. tlwaps

tlwaps

Feb 13, 2006
    Ohio
    i don't use the compressor on mine, so yes i would reccomend a third party compressor

4. Subculture13

Subculture13 Jamming Econo

Apr 9, 2003
    Toronto, Ont. Canada
    DBX160 - All the compressor you need.

5. DBX 160A looks good, but does anyone have the Keeley?

I don't like to skimp when it comes to gear, but money's tight......

Perhaps I should save up for the DBX 160, but the Keeley seems simple enough, and the price is right.

6. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    IMHO, the compressor on the 4 Pro is quite useless. I have messed around with the one on mine countless times, and could never get it to do anything but take away from my sound, so I gave up on even trying anymore.

7. That's what I thought.......

I'll just cut it out completely until I get more information on the Keeley vs DBX.

One of those WILL be mine in the near future. :D

8. seventhson

seventhson Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    You should also check out the analogman bicompROSSer. It gets raves as well as the keeley, and I've heard the juicer circuit is really cool.

9. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    The compressor on the SVT 4 that I had was useless as well. So I got used to not having one. I think it takes away from dynamics and nuance. I have a really nice, highly usable studio quality compressor built into my Eden Nav, but it reamains in the off position.
    If you are looking for a pedal compressor, check ou the EBS multi band compressor. The best pedal compressor I have used. They are a bit pricey, but they are compact and highly portable. Who wants to hall around tons of bulky rack gear anyway?:D

10. if the DBX160 is pushing the price limit a bit, try out the DBX166XL it has everything a compressor should have, and sounds great too

11. Well, it doesn't really matter if it's a rack comp, I've got the space, and I'm used to lifting all that gear! Right Sean? ;)

I'll take a rack or a stomp. I'm looking for one to tighten my tone as a whole, not one to specifically switch on and off.

For me, the less knobs the better. When you give me more options, I tend to get enraptured and never leave the confines of my music room.
    My wife doesn't much care for that.....:meh:

That's sort of why I was leaning towards the Keeley, but after reading a few luke-warm reviews regarding it's iffy low-end reproduction, it looks like I'm going to have to do a lot more research...........

12. MJ1727

MJ1727

Jun 12, 2004
    Chicago Il
    The one on mine is quite useless also,it takes away from the overall sound and thins it out too much.

13. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Maybe that's why I never really understood the compressor when I had my 4-Pro. I tried it, and I'm not technical at all, but all I know is that it didn't do anything that made the sound better. I can't say it made the tone worse, but not better either. I think I read that it is located in the wrong place of the signal chain. Anyway, if one was to get a good compressor, in layman's terms, what would you notice, and you guys that use them, is a good compressor kind of "MUST HAVE" in your opinion?

Thanks - Skel

14. Now that I've eliminated the compressor, I can't see why I saw the need to use it in the first place! All this time wondering why I had to turn up so loud to hear myself, and I all I had to do was turn that little dial all the way to the left.

I can actually turn up LOUDER with it off, and it sounds cleaner!

I think I've moved over to the camp of "play dynamically with your fingers". I won't be doing any more shopping for a compressor, that's for sure!:D

The "tighter" sound I was looking for was there all along, hidden underneath that crappy compressor.

15. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    Good for you.:)

16. bassman_2_1

bassman_2_1

Dec 31, 2005
    hi guys, i got my svt4 and am using ampeg BXT115"hl and the BXT410"hl, i use the compression on about 3out of 10 say on the dial and i think the compression works nicely, this just smooths out any sound problems with the high and low end.But the cabs i have both have great horn controls, even so with the 15" cab. I have used other amps with compression and i think the 4-pro is nicer. i also find alot of bass players use different fingering techniques etc and basses that will affect the sound and thus the need for compression. But hey a seperate compression unit would be nice :D

17. a whole other compressor. No real control on that puppy.

Good for basic use but a 3rd party one would leave you with less tone killing

18. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    Demeter Compulator. 2 knobs, no tone squashing and very transparent. It does add a little "sheen" and "sparkle" to the sound, but it's super subtle and makes you sound better. It doesn't squash or make the sound muddy, it controls your peaks and balances the notes. I've had mine for a while and it's great. I use it mith my DB750 and it doesn't smash that powerful 750 growl.

I think you could try the Punch Factory too, I've read good things about it. I tried my guitarists' Keeley (i dunno of there's a different model or mod for bass) and didn't like it at all, really distorted and didn't work well for bass IMO. It does works marvels for guitar.

i hope this helped somewhat...

19. Hmmm....I think this thread may have solved anirritation for me as well....Im going to try eliminating my 4-Pros compressor too and see if I gain the headroom I feel Im missing...

20. You certainly will find it there. :)