Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SVT-4 PRO concern

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by StingrayKid21, Nov 17, 2002.

1. StingrayKid21

StingrayKid21 Holding down the low-end since 1996.

Oct 7, 2001
    Portland, OR
    Hey everyone!

Just a question about my SVT-4PRO. My band has two guitar players so when I'm playing I have to crank up the volume quite a bit to hear myself. I'm running the amp through my SVT-410Hlf cab and I'm just using one of the power amp channels. I have the gain at about 2 o'clock and the master volume at about 2:30. When I hit the strings pretty hard or play on my low B the peak LED flashes and so does the limit LED. Now for the question... is this damaging the amp or the cab? I would like to turn the volume up even more so I could cut through the guitars better but seeing those LED's blinking out of the corner of my eye makes me nervous. I think my cab is rated at around 600w which the amp can provide and that should be more than enough to be heard clearly through the guitars. I just want to make sure I'm not destroying the amp or damaging the speakers...

Thanks!
    --kid

2. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    I am figuring some of this stuff out, but....

Clipping I think is bad, mmmmkay...

I got a 5 string with gobs of outbut, and that b will clip an amp at the drop of a dime given the chance. I think you want to push your master volume, but ease up on the gain. i haven't been clipping anymore on my svt 3 pro, I keep the gain around 12" o clock, and pump the eq and master if I need to hear myself. Besides, when you clip, you lose sound, and that ain't no good...

3. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Run the amp mono bridged into the cab. When I use only one cab (rehearsals, smaller venues/stages), that is how I run mine. I don't have any problem at all with it, and it is plenty loud.

FWIW, I set my gain so that the peak LED flashes just slightly when I really "dig in". My basses are pretty close in output, so I don't ever have to change that setting, really. I use the master volume to control everything. And I believe my gain is set at around the 2:00 position (amp isn't in my apartment with me).

4. StingrayKid21

Oct 7, 2001
    Portland, OR
    Thanks for the input guys!

Ryan, what kind of cab are you running your amp through? I was thinking about running mine mono-bridged but I was worried I might overpower my SVT-410Hlf. When you run mono-bridged do you just run the single speakon cable to the cab or are there more connections involved? My amp came with the one speakon-1/4 inch cable so I figured that would be all I needed to run in mono-bridged but I'm not sure.

Thanks again!
    --kid

5. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Click on his profile. :)

6. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Youi run one SVT 410HLN mono? Personally, That's alot of power going into those 2 speakers. The SVT 4 mono is 1600W (1200W continuous) & the HLN is 500W (I believe).

Personally StingrayKid21, I'd keep it hooked up the way oyu had it going thru one side. I have an SVP-PRO & SVP-1500 & it clips all the time, come to think of it, every amp I use clips cause I play @ very high volumes. :) I don't think that it'll do any damage if you're clipping.

7. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    so.....should I be able to get more power than I am getting right now? I set it to 12" o clock cause that is the setting where I can DIG but it won't really clip. If I can turn the gain up, that is cool, but for some reason I was under the impression that is really not that great of an idea.

8. StingrayKid21

Oct 7, 2001
    Portland, OR
    I checked the ampeg website and it says that my SVT-410HLF is rated at 400 watts RMS and 800 watts program. So should I go by the RMS rating or the program rating? I tried running my cab off of one channel using the speakon cable and that didn't work. I'm not sure if I connected it incorrectly or if that cable can even be used to run a single channel. Anyway, I'm just kinda frustrated cause I want to be able to cut through the two guitars in my band without seeing those little LED's blinking away and I definately don't want to damage any of my equipment. Ersh! Being a guitar player seems a lot less stressful than being a bass player... haha.

Thanks guys!

--kid

9. sincity

sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    Connecticut
    Hey Stingraykid,

Here are your amps specs.

OUTPUT POWER RATING 1600 Watts

Mono-Bridged @ 4 Ohms (1200 Watts Continuous)

1200 Watts Mono-Bridged @ 8 Ohms (900 Watts Continuous)

Wattage per side.

625 Watts @ 4 Ohms (490 Watts Continuous)
    350 Watts @ 8 Ohms (300 Watts Continuous)

You are probably pushing the cab a little too much being that it's a 4 Ohm cabinet and is rated 400 watts.

If it's an 8 Ohm cab, then I would not worry about blowing the speakers.

I run my Eden 4-10 XLT mono-bridged from my Ampeg B4R. Max wattage into my 8 Ohm cab is 700 watts. The Ampeg pushes 800 Watts mono-bridged into 8 Ohms. I just have to watch the gain levels.

10. Ryan L.

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    It is a 4x10 cab, therefore, I am mono bridging it into those 4 speakers.
    My cab is rated at 1000 watts program, so I am not too worried about it. I have never had even a hint of a problem with it, and I have used a single cab with the head quite a bit (I use both my HLF's for larger stages/venues).

11. Ryan L.

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I am using the SVT410HLF's with mine. I use 2 of them for larger shows, but since a lot of the stages we play on are not that big, there is no need to run both cabs, so I just mono bridge into one cab. My cabs are rated at 1000 watts program, I am assuming that yours is also, since it should be identical to mine. So I am not too worried about pushing 1200 watts into it.

The cable you are talking about is all you need, just make sure the Speakon end is wired for the mono bridge output (there is a diagram on back of the amp around the output that tells you which wires go where on the Speakon plug).

12. StingrayKid21

Oct 7, 2001
    Portland, OR
    Thanks again for all the replies guys!

I think I might give it a shot running the amp mono-bridged through the cab and see how it sounds. The speakon cables confuse me. It seems like I would just connect it to the "mono-bridge" port on the back of the amp and then connect the 1/4" jack to the back of the cab and set the amp switch to "mono-bridged" instead of stereo, but whenever people talk about speakon cables they talk about the connections and that's where I'm lost. All the +1, -2 stuff leaves me with a less than intelligent look on my face. It doesn't look like there is really anything I can change about the speakon end of the cable. Can anybody clear this up for me? What exactly needs to be done to the speakon end before I plug it in to the amp?

P.S. Sorry for all the questions but we all have to learn sometime. :D

13. Ryan L.

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    You need to unscrew the end of the Speakon cable, and you will see what is being talked about. You need to make sure that the wires inside are going to the correct places. There will be little numbers where the wires are clamped on, and you will need a small allen wrench to change them.

After you do that, all you need to do is switch the amp to run in mono bridge mode, plug in your cable, and you're set.

14. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Or if you're a big chicken like me, :D you can order the cable already wired for mono bridging from your ampeg dealer. Also I wouldn't worry to much about the yellow limiter light flashing, that is just telling you that the limiter is doing it's job, protecting your speakers.

15. Ryan L.

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Yep, that is another option if you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself. Or, if you don't want to wait, take your cable in and just have them do it.;)

16. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    You have to remember that companies change their specs like we change out underwear. ;) The HLF I have says's 500W/1000 Program & then newer ones that are avalible now say 400W/800 Program.

17. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    I spoke to a tech in my area & he said the the "Program" Wattage is not meant to be played continuosly. It just for when the ams peaks. Since you've had no problem, i'd keep playing it the way you are. :)

18. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    NO NEED?!?!? You should use both cabs even in the smallest clubs so people hear you 3 blocks away. :D;):eek:

19. Ryan L.

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    LOL!!:D:cool:

20. Ryan L.

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I did some checking into it, also, before I started running it that way. I can't remember how many hours for sure it is that they are supposed to be able to handle the "program" wattage. I do remember that it was a long enough time frame that I would never be driving it continuously at that rate. But, me or my resources could be wrong, too. Hope not, but I have been using it that way for over a year now, and the cabs haven't so much as farted.:D (knock on wood)