1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SVT-4 PRO-->HA1200?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by improvpwnd, Jan 2, 2007.

1. What would be the best way to connect my Hartke Kickback 12 to my SVT-4 PRO? Right now I have the MONO BRIDGE/BI-AMP speaker output going to my 410HLF cabinet and my POWER AMP A speaker output going to my Hartke combo input. The MONO BRIDGE selection is also depressed (as opposed to STEREO). Everything is working, but am I harming either amps by connecting them this way? :confused:

2. still wondering...

3. Uhhhh, if things are as they appear as you've described them, I don't know how the Harkte has survived.

You say you've got a speaker output (Power Amp A) going into the front panel instrument input of the Hartke? That's a big Bozo no-no (Chicagoans will get it). That's a potential toaster job there (for the Hartke).

With all the ins and outs the Ampeg has, there's got to be a lower level signal available, like an effects send or pre-amp send of some sort, either from a master section, or from one of the two channels, depending on how it's set up. Even that could potentially be too much for an instrument level input like on the front of any amp, but you should never introduce a speaker level voltage there (oh, maaannn...).

Bridging the amp's two power sections into the one Ampeg speaker is a good idea, provided the impedances are correct.

But more curiously, why would you feel the need to run a 120 watt tiny combo in tandem with another amp that's putting out 1200 some watts into a 4x10 cab? That's like using a flashlight outside on a sunny day, UNLESS you're slaving it for the benefit of a drummer or someone else as a bass monitor to hear you better.

Careful now!

4. Oh jeeze..I'm glad I didn't fry my new combo! but yeah, I want to use it as my own personal monitor. Hmm...now I am worried about trying to find the answer through trial and error..:eyebrow:

5. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Northumberland, UK
    Hey, by the looks of the owners manual, your SVT should have 'poweramp out' jacks. If im reading correctly, 'Power amp A Preamp Output' is the one you want.

Either connect this to the 'effect return' of the Hartke to use your SVT's eq and gain, or to the Hartkes normal 'input' to use both your SVT and Hartkes eq and gain. (Like if you find the SVT sounds bad as is and need extra eq to sound good with the Hartke.)

If you dont want any of your SVT sound in the Hartke, you can use the 'Tuner Out'.

Never ever ever connect speaker outputs to anything other than speakers.

6. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    USA-Mineola
    Do you really need a personnel monitor? You should be able to hear your self with a SVT pro 4 with 1200 watts into a 4x10 cab.:confused:

7. David Vega

David Vega

Aug 28, 2002
    Puerto Rico
    word...!!!

8. What Jack said ought to cover it. Obviously, this model Hartke doesn't have an effects loop, so the front panel instrument input is the way in. I just bought one of these used off eBay (waiting on delivery), and went to Hartke's site and checked out the manual. Luckily, the instrument input on this thing has a very wide range of acceptable voltages, according to what it states, so you ought to be sittin' pretty without a strain.

9. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

Use a LINE LEVEL output and run a shielded (giutar) cord to the input of the combo and use the combo's controls. OR get a A/B/Y box and split the input signal to both amp inputs. Don't screw around with speaker out, power amp outs, etc. You'll blow your combo up. There should be a line level out, or an effects send, or tuner out jack that will work. Kinda silly though. As stated, you should be able to hear your amp enough.

10. Gothax

Gothax

Apr 22, 2006
    Heerlen, Netherlands
    Endorsing Artist: Jim Dunlop strings
    You should have a slave out if i'm correct. slave out = line level output
    the Power amp out level is being controlled by the gain knob, you don't want that.

11. Thanks guys. Yes, my rig is powerful and I can USUALLY hear myself just fine, but many times (like when I used to play metal) my bass would be lost in the mix--to me, at least, not the audience...and that is why I want a personal monitor. I wouldn't have to crank my rig (and drown out the band) in order to hear myself clearly. But thanks for the replies, makes sense now.

12. David Vega

David Vega

Aug 28, 2002
    Puerto Rico
    hey bro, PUMP UP those mid frequencies...you will see the diference right away..:hyper: :bassist:

13. thanks for the advice, but the whole point is to not make my rig any louder to anyone else but me...thus pointing a little 12" cab into my face so I can leave my main rig at a lower volume. I do not need to cut through to the audience, I already does that, I just cant hear it sometimes FROM the stage..

14. David Vega

David Vega

Aug 28, 2002
    Puerto Rico
    OK, then from the line out of the svt, connect to the input of a combo amp, then you will have control over the voulme of the combo ,as explaine by others posts here, DO NOT MESS AROUND WITH THE SPEAKERS/POWER AMP OUTPUTS, my 2 cents :bassist:

15. ForesterFound

ForesterFound

Jan 31, 2007
    Indy
    Why couldn't you unplug the speaker from the amp in the KB and go directly from the SVT to the KB speaker, bypass the KB amp?

16. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Northumberland, UK
    Impedance issues, overpowerering the little combo speaker, tonnes of reasons.

Even if the amp can power the combo speker too, do you really want a full 1/3 or 1/2 of your power being spent on your monitor?

17. ForesterFound

ForesterFound

Jan 31, 2007
    Indy
    so, after reviewing all input, what is the best way to add a kickback 15 to the amp or keep it in the practice room?

18. That worked.

19. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Northumberland, UK
    Youre surprised? :oops:

I mean, pleased I could help. :)