Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

svt 4 pro into ampeg 6x10

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ollybarclay, Feb 21, 2006.

1. ollybarclay

ollybarclay

Dec 14, 2005
    one channel from the amp into this 4 ohm, 600 watt RMS cabinet will be fine, right?

from ampeg.com

svt 4 pro output power ratings:
    2 x 625 watts @ 4 ohms (490 watts continuous)

(i imagine it's 2 x 625, due to there being two power channels, right?)

just trying to clear up the math...:meh:

any help mucho appreciated..

2. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    USA-Mineola
    Why don’t you use the bridging cable? You get 1200 watts at 4 ohms when bridged.

3. ollybarclay

ollybarclay

Dec 14, 2005
    yeah i read that, also read it "can be risky"...:meh:

do you need a 1200watt capable cab to run it bridged though?

4. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    USA-Mineola
    I run two mesa cabs one is 2x10 cab rated at 600 watts the other is a 1x15 rated at 400 watts and never had a problem. Running the amp at 1200 watts in a 600 watt cab is fine just don’t crank it up too loud. You will get more head room from the amp at 1200 watts. It’s better to run more clean power then say 490 watts at peak, which will start to distort sooner. One thing that’s very important with this amp is if you put it in a road case make sure there is room on both sides of the amp for cooling. I think the left side pulls air in and the right side blows out. I had to make air holes in the side of my case. Do you have the mono cable from Ampeg?

5. ollybarclay

ollybarclay

Dec 14, 2005
    yeah, i've got the speak-on cable they supplied with it, if that's what you mean.

and yes, i've got it in a road case, there's about an inch and a half on each side of the head in the case...i've read about it needing plenty of ventilation, no problem drilling holes if need be.

what exactly do you mean: "It’s better to run more clean power then say 490 watts at peak" sorry, i don't follow..

6. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    USA-Mineola
    What I mean about clean power is if your using and amp that is rated at 490-watts rms that same amp can produce say 600 to 700 watts but it will be distorted and that is what will cause speaker damage. If you run 1200 rms it will give you more head room. Say your playing and there is a part in the song were you have to slap, to produce that louder passage in the song it will take more power to reproduce that sound and to control the speaker. I’m not sure but if your cab is rated at 600 watts rms its peak is probable around 800 watts so when you need to slap and the amp sends that power to the speaker you want clean power or undistorted power. If the cab is under powered and you have a loud passage in a song you will get that farting type sound, That is caused by the amp not having the power to control the speaker efficiently.

7. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    I used to bridge my SVT 4 pro into my Ampeg BXT 4x10, never had any problems.
    Also, I must mention this. If you are going to use the mono mode, dont forget to switch the pins on your speakon plug (amp side) Sooooooo many people plug a wrongly configured speakon cable into the bridge socket, then complain about the lack of power. Thats because they are only getting one side of the amp instead of two combined. The speakon plug you use for stereo will be different than the one you us for bridging. So I would buy a seperated speackon for this application. Also, you only need to reconfigure one side of the speakon, the amp side stays the same.

8. Daywalker

Daywalker

Apr 13, 2005
    SOCAL
    I have the SAME set-up, and I have had no problems. I just use the cable that was supplied, and followed the "how to bridge" instuctions right on the top of the amp. It's loud as hell...

9. ollybarclay

ollybarclay

Dec 14, 2005
    that's the kind of response i was after!! :D

10. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I run a Goliath III through the bridged output and it's perfectly fine. Your cab can handle more power.

Gotta love one of the biggest guns in the bass amp world.