Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SVT 4 PRO or what

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jonb9, May 9, 2005.

1. jonb9

jonb9

Sep 13, 2004
    I'm tinkering with the idea of buying a Ampeg SVT 4 Pro
    i play a fodera 4 with an epi 310, and a stewart 1.6

I am unhappy with the stewart-to thini n my opinion, anyway- Eventually I'm adding a 115 and I'm told that the Ampeg 4Pro is great--I read some reviews and people have had some problems with the power level--- not powerful enough the clip light flickers to much and you cant get enough gain/volume. Can someone address this issue? Will voume be a issue? I played one and the overall tone I liked but in the store didnt have the opportunity to really turn it up.... Should I just got with a better amp like a Crown K2? thanks very much JB

2. Dan T.

Dan T.

May 9, 2005
    Minneapolis
    I just sold mine, volume will be a problem, this is by far the worst amp I've ever owned. I just bought a Mesa 400+, obviously alot more work but the difference is night and day and I love it. The problems you are worried about with the SVT4 are exactly what I encountered, that amp is nothing that it promises to be, total garbage in my opinion. Add that with Ampegs **** customer service and you have one of the worst 1300 dollar investments you can make. Seriously I can't stress enough my dislike for this particular amp.

3. I recently bought an older SVT 4 Pro and I too was scared of all of the reliability and power issues I read about. When I first brought the amp home, I didn't think it was very loud. However, after little research on the web , I discovered that you MUST have a specially wired Speakon cable to use the SVT 4 Pro in bridged/mono mode to get it's full power. I'd bet money that most of the people bitching about the volume didn't have the correct cable. Once I rewired my cable to the correct specs, the amp got loud as hell! :)

I also noticed all of the issues with overheating. I used my amp at one rehearsal out of a rack and it barely even got warm. Great! I then mounted it in a rack and used it again. This time it got pretty darn warm, but not SUPER hot. I recently just cut out some ventilation holes in the side of my rack where the SVT 4 Pro vents. It's kinda goofy for it to vent out the side and it sucks that they did it that way, but they did and drilling vent holes in the rack has fixed that problem.

So, I'm no longer worried about the reliability issues I read online. I think alot of it is due to people running improper speaker loads (it can get confusing if you don't know what you're doing), using an incorrectly wired Speakon cable and mounted the amp in a rack with little or no ventilation.

My SVT 4 Pro sounds killer and after I did all of the things above, I don't notice any of the issues people bitch about on the web. I honestly think alot of that is user error and a guy at Ampeg told me the same thing. He said he gets calls regularly where most people don't realize they need to use a certain type of cable, which accounts for the lack of power and overheating (the amp is working harder).

I haven't had mine long, but I don't think I'll see the issues people are talking about. It seems to run great and it sounds killer.

Chris

4. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I thought that most, if not all, speakon cables made these days are wired for mono-bridge... I usually use 1/4 in cables though.

5. powerslave

powerslave Guest

Feb 24, 2005
    United States
    i have had one for the last 5 1/2 years and it works great, has always worked great, and has always been as loud as i needed and then some (thats including outside gig's) guess i got one of the good ones ;) )

6. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I had to play through one at a gig. It was plenty loud but I just didn't like the tone it gave me. If you don't get this, dont get it for the sound, not the volume.

7. lowmid1

lowmid1

Aug 16, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    I had and used one of these amps for about a year and a half and I am mystified by some of the comments I have read. The amp was stupid loud! The thermal management was excellent. I would run it hard, bridged at 4 ohms and in a rack case without any holes cut anywhere and after an hour set it would be fairly hot but would cool down in the first 3-4 minutes of the break (cool to the touch). Never a problem. While some of the "authorized repair centers" sucked, Ampeg's customer service always seemed pretty good to me. If you like the sound of the amp, I don't think you will be disapointed by the other aspects of it.Just my $.02.

8. Well, mine wasn't. As I said above, the Ampeg guy told me that most of the calls they take about lack of power in the SVT 4 Pro is from the playing using an incorrectly wired Speakon cable.

Also, you can use cables for stereo setups as well, so I'm not sure why most would come already wired for bridged/mono.

Chris

9. I certainly can't complain about Ampeg's support. I've emailed and called them numerous times in the past 2 months and they helped me each time.

Chris

10. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    Go with the "or what". Apparently, at best, the SVT4-PRO only goes stupid loud. For that much money I'd expect an amp to go at least moron loud. My current rig goes total idiot loud and I'm thinking about getting a bigger power amp. I've got my eye on the QSC RMX5050. :eek:

11. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Thats not loud enough! I've got at least 6 of those in my rack, each powering an 2 810s! :eek: X2

12. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    Now you're talking. That's a REAL bass rig. No problem hearing yourself above the drummer. And bring on the stinking Triple Rectifiers!!! :D Twenty years ago I used to run two Ampeg 8X10 cabs with a JBL loaded 4X10 on top of each one. Driven by four Peavey CS800 power amps. That's bass you can feel in your guts. If I ever get somebody to digitize my old stage photos I'll post them here. ;)

13. I love my SVT 4 pro!! I've never had problems with it overheating or with the volume. BUT when I first purchased an SVT 4 it broke the 2nd day I had it. There was something seriously wrong with it, it would have cost A LOT of money to fix. But I took it back to the store and exchanged it for a brand new one in the box. I haven't had problems since. Overall, I like my SVT 4 better than a Classic or SVT 2. I'm probuly one of the only people who thinks that, but oh well.

14. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    While I don't own an SVT4 I've used several and had mixed expiriences. On a couple occasions they were amazingly powerful and articulate, while on several others they suffered from the same lack of headroom and volume so many complain about.

I think the issue is less with the amps than with the cabs and setup. All the good expiriences I had were with SVT4s running in stereo into 2 ohm loads. Anything else, including bridged mono into an Amepg 810 resulted in a less than satisfactory expirience. However under optimum conditions it is very nice amp, one I am strongly considering for my next rig.

15. +1 on that - I've played and tested the SVT4-PRO numerous times and have found it personally to be a superior amp to the SVT CL

16. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Most people don't realise that the volue issue is due to using the wrong cables.

I would suggest however going with another amp, but that is my opinion as I think there are better amps for the money out there.

17. Just curious- as I can't afford an SVT 4 Pro, not a new one at least and the beast would cost a fortune to ship from the USA or UK...

But I was looking at the Ampeg SVT3 Pro, and alot of people mentioned the same volume issues... Saying it's rated at 450watts but only puts out 300w, overheating etc... Seems awefully expencive for a 300w amp, even by Australian standards- But does the Speak-On Cable eleminate this Volume problem with this amp also?

I would love to get my hands on one if it does push a real 450w using Speak-On as it's the prefect amout for me- and haha the cabs I'm curently building have speakon connections :bassist:

Thanx for any help
    -Cul

18. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    ^^Nope. I used one a while ago.. Barely loud enough for our small outside gig. I did like the though, though overall I wasn't impressed.

19. What cabs were you running?.. And wehre you using speak-on?

I quiet like the ampeg heads- wasnt really a fan of them till playing one. I think I will have to re-evaluate the situation. Although chances of playing a midsize gig is limited...

Dont suppose you know the Aussie price of the SVT Pro preamp?

-Cul

20. The speakon cable that they are talking about in the beginning of this thread is for the bridged-mono connection to the SVT4-PRO, this doesn't apply to the SVT3-PRO, as it is not a bi-amp.

I'm pretty sure it does have standard speakon connectors for the cabs though?