1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SVT-4 Pro too much for SVT 410HLF???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by burtonisalive, Apr 15, 2006.

1. I have the opportunity to purchase a used Ampeg SVT-4 Pro at a local guitar shop for $800. It is in great condition and appears to be worth it. I'm a fan of Ampeg, so to me, the tone is flippin' sweet.

My question is that I am looking to purchase the SVT 410HLF (leaning towards the SVT-3 Pro head if bought new) and was wondering if the SVT-4 Pro was too poweful for this cab?

Going by the wattage, it seems so, but I have never owned a stack, so I have no first-hand experience with this.

Thanks for all replies.

2. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    I used the set up you are talking about - a single 410HLF into just one of the 2 power amps on the 4-PRO, of course (stereo mode) - no problem at all and great tone. I wouldn't run the amp in biamp mode, though - too much power, and you don't need it for just the single 410HLF. I forgot the exact wattage of either power amp in stereo at 4-ohms, but you don't have to crank the amp up to 10. I'm not convinced the amp's wattage is what it claims to be anyway. I had no problems whatsoever and I think it's commonly done.

3. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I have been mono-bridging my SVT4 Pro into a single 410HLF for years. I am careful not to get crazy with the EQ and push too much into it (in other words, I don't crank the lows on the amp). But this setup has been working great for me, and the headroom I have with all that power going into the cab is outstanding.

And I have played in some bands where it has gotten driven pretty hard, for hours on end. So, for those who say it can't be done, I am living proof that it works.

4. RwG

RwG

Mar 24, 2006
    orlando, fl
    that's the rig i'm currently running. i've used it both in stereo mode and in mono-bridged. honestly i prefer it bridged - more headroom, cleaner tone, and ampeg tech support told me that its just fine to run it that way into the 410hlf. actually, they told me that it's not enough to power the cab in stereo mode and that i should use in bridged (make sure you have the correct speakon cable).

with all that said, i'm thinking about getting rid of my rig for a GK rig, i want clean clear tone and if i want OD or dirty bass then i'll add it with my sansamp, ampeg does not give me that.

5. jordanm

jordanm

Feb 24, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Sooo you mean its ok to mono-bridge my SVT-4 into my 800w Mesa 2-15? I thought the 1650w or whatever it is would blow it out immediately?

6. So, what everyone is saying is that the SVT-4 Pro can run through the SVT 410HLF fine as long as I don't push the lows too much?

Someone clarify this for me. Is the SVT-4 Pro bi-ampable? If so, would running two cabs (a 410 and an 18, or 2 410s) work, and would they run at 4 ohms each? I would like to stick with a 4 ohm set up.

Also, would you recommend that I use a 410 and an 18, or 2 410s, or a 610 with an 18? I want to get the most use out of the head as possible, but not exceed the power limits of the cabs.

Thanks for all your advice.

7. paulraphael

paulraphael

Apr 13, 2006
    Brooklyn
    If you heard me play, you'd stop reading what I write.
    "Sooo you mean its ok to mono-bridge my SVT-4 into my 800w Mesa 2-15? I thought the 1650w or whatever it is would blow it out immediately?"

only if you crank the volume past the point where it sounds like it's going to explode.

check out this thread: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=242867

8. Bloodfist

Bloodfist

Mar 18, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    I tried the SVT4 Pro myself, but ended up liking the SVT3 pro head better. I also play it through the 410 HLF classic cabinet, and it's awesome. I'd try this combo out, then make your mind up.

9. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    I a/B's the SVT 3 and 4, I actually liked the SVT 4 a bit better.

Go to the Ampeg home page and check out the amp specs. you can see what it features. Better yet, here is the owner's manual in PDF:
    http://www.ampeg.com/manuals/SVT4PRO.pdf

I decided that if I was going to get the SVT4...then might as well spend a couple extra hundred on an SVT2...tubes, baby!

10. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    I think what people are saying is "yes", but just don't go crazy cranking the amp up to 10. If you are fairly careful, meaning play at volumes you can hear, but not where your blowing windows out and I don't think you'll hurt the cab at all, but why would you want to when running the cab off of one of the stereo power amps should sound great and be a better power fit?

11. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Oh and the "I liked this better, that better" - the fact is, the 3-PRO has 5 tubes - 4 12AX7's, and 1 12AU7. Just like an all tube SVT (in the preamp section). I believe the 4-PRO has just 2 tubes, both 12AX7's. What does this mean? In my opinion, not much. Both amps sound great, and hard to tell the difference. Having owned both, I would probably go with the 4-PRO because I love the power it has, and that you could run two 4-ohm SVT410HLF cabs in stereo - that would sound killer. Plus it has some really nice features. I would never use the biamp feature, or the compressor, but it's basically a little nicer amp than the 3-PRO.

12. Herman

Herman

Dec 25, 2005
    Lynchburg, VA
    With a single 410 cab, running mono-bridged is the way to go as others have said. It gives you more headroom (ie more available clean power) and you run no more (probably less) risk of damaging your cab as long as you use discretion with the volume controls and EQ settings.

13. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Exactly what I was trying to say. I can definitely notice a difference between running it off just one side versus bridging the amps.

14. +1

This idea of a "power fit" is a bit, uh, well, you know...

You can always use a power amp that has power exceeding a cab's rating. You just learn how to use it judiciously. It's no more potentially harmful than using a grossly underpowered amp and trying to turn it up all the way to beat out your other "volume buddies" at rehearsal. In fact it's got significant benefits, as experience shows us, and many threads here elaborate on.

Also, does any bass player you know actually try turning up a solid state amp to "10"? That's a sure sign of impending doom, and also perhaps time to pack up the stuff, cancel rehearsal, go shopping and try again, finances allowing. Or if the music allows, turning down.

15. jmjbassplayer

jmjbassplayer Justin Meldal-Johnsen

Mar 25, 2005
    I've toured the world with this setup for years, never a problem, and very very loud, too, even on arena stages. Two SVT4-Pro's mono bridging two 410HLF's, and sometimes one 410HLF along with an 810. I've blown a tweeter once, but the speakers hold up fine. Great tone, very punchy.

JMJ
    www.justinmj.com

16. stephencoxbass

stephencoxbass

Feb 9, 2010
    Atlanta
    I joined a band where someone has given me this setup: One 410HLF and the svt-4 pro. I don't really know much about it, though I like it so far. I don't exactly understand the settings on the 410...since the amp I had before was a combo amp. As far as I know, I have been mono bridging it. As far as the cabinet settings...what works best for a blues/r&b kind of setting? (i/e w/the crossover select). Any suggestions?