svt 410 HE vs HLF

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thewickedcool, Feb 11, 2006.

1. I can't decide between the Ampeg SVT 410 HE and the HLF version. I'll only be playing a 4 string through it, so I don't know if I need the lower tuning of HLF, and the HE is $100 cheaper. However, the HE has an 8 ohm impedance, while the HLF has a 4 ohm. I would really like to use my SVT 450H to its full potential. Any advice?
  2. amistybleu

Jan 15, 2006
    Thornton, CO
    I have the HLF and play a 4 string, I love this cab and thought it sounded better than the HE, I also thought the 610 HLF sounded better than the 410HLF. It was a matter of money for me too:cool: also you need to determine what ohms you want, HLF is 4 Ohm and HE is 8 ohm.
  3. The 450 puts out the full 450W at 4 Ohms, while only 250 at 8
  4. amistybleu

Jan 15, 2006
    Thornton, CO
    Then you should go with the HLF if you want to use a single cab, if you eventually want two cabs you can combine two 8 ohm cabs for maximum output. although, while you are waiting for the second cab you will probably only push about 275 watts:bawl: just a guess on that number.
  5. panic_striken

Oct 13, 2005
    I just got a SVT-410HLF, and I couldn't be happier. I don't know what kind of music you play, but I play alot in drop D. I can feel the bass in my chest, but at the same time no farts, distortion, or bleeding/mudding of my notes. I am pushing 400 watts through mine with a Genz-Benz GBE500. It's a great cab for medium sized venues like big bars or small halls/theaters.
  6. amistybleu

Jan 15, 2006
    Thornton, CO
    Sorry thewickedcool,

Could have save myself alot of finger tappin if I would have read all your info.

I play drop D on my HLF also, It's chest thumpin good with no problem at all cutting through the mix.:bassist:
  7. AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    I used to have an SVT 410HLF before my PR410HLF. As said you'll get full potential out of 1 cab and great low end. To me it's well worth the $100.
  8. Barfly

Dec 27, 2000
    GTA, Canada
    I had the SVT 410HLF for 5 years before i got sick of the lugging. Not the cabs fault, just me getting older.:crying:

I started playing even more frequently and in clubs with full production so having all that power behind me but not really running it to it's potential made no sense.

Back in the live-off-the-stage days, tho, the 'Peg was golden. One night in Acton, the DI box went for a dump. Everyone else was mic'd up and the first song of the 3rd set was Unchained -Van Halen. Best drop D tune ever.

I turned my amp to 7 (Yorkville BH400), gripped the P-bass and just pounded the sh*t out of that tune. Kept up no problem vs the full PA. We have the recording somewhere...brings a tear to the eye...

Anyway, the 'Peg served me well. Played out an average 4 times a month. Had no problems sound or tech-wise.

Great cab, IMO.