1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SVT-410HLF help

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by georgestrings, Aug 23, 2012.

1. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    I just picked up an older MIA SVT-410HLF, and have a question - isn't it supposed to have cardboard tubes attached to the plastic port flares on the front baffle??? - and if so, how long are the tubes??? I've owned a couple of these in the past, and *seem* to remember there being tubes attached to the front ports - I assume not having them, or them not having the proper length would affect porting function...

Thanks in advance for any help,

- georgestrings

2. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    I think the entire port length was around 2". I have pictures of mine and I will verify when I can access them.
    Wes

3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    You can get replacement port tubes from Ampeg.

4. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

Thanks - I would really appreciate that...

- georgestrings

5. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    George, do you think this cab sounds different than the other 410HLF's you had?

I've never actually played a 410HLF, but it seems like lots of guys here on T/B complain this model actually has too much deep low-bass response causing a mid-scoop. So I was thinking maybe your cabs previous owner felt the same way and simply removed those port tubes as a simple-effective mod to change the factory tuning...

I'll be watching this thread with interest to find out any differences you notice with the way your cab sounds now, compared to after re-installing the original type/length port tubes.

PS:
    If you bought that cab from an individual, (not a store) you might ask him if he'd removed those port tubes, and if he's still got-em...

6. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

I was thinking about that, but thought that it might not be worth the added expense of buying them, when I could just make them - if I knew how long they're supposed to be...

- georgestrings

7. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    So far, it does sound different - and not in a positive way... I'm not going to judge that until I restore it back to original specs - since I really liked the way my previous ones sounded... This one is an SLM era cab - my others were another US made, and a 'nampeg, with the 'nampeg being the brightest sounding of the bunch...

I've always gotten excellent results with an SVT-410HLF, probably because I like alot of low end, and also play primarily with a pick... I also don't like as many mids as many players do - I like enough mids to be able to hear my notes well, and no more - preferring to carry the low end, and be more of a "support" player than a "lead" bassist... In other words, I want to be heard in the mix, not cut thru it - and add thump to the mix along with the kick drum...

I bought it from a friend, but he didn't change anything - and I really don't think much of altering a cab's porting like that, to be honest... If I didn't like what a cab did for me, I'd flip it for one that was properly designed to work better for me...

I'll definitely report back after reinstalling the tubes...

- georgestrings

8. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    It's actually in pretty good condition - I can clean it up without any problem, and the drivers look really good... The guy I got it from doesn't usually play very loud - I don't think it's been driven very hard for the most part...

Here's some crappy pics:

IMAG0781.

IMAG0784.

IMAG0788.

IMAG0786.

9. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Those ports look about right in your picture.

10. themacinator

themacinator Always looking for the perfect gig

Oct 8, 2009
    8,600 feet in the Colorado Rockies
    Endorsing Artist: Babicz FCH Hardware
    I own the SVT-410HLN version. Never looked for tubes on mine but I can confirm this is simply one of the best designed cabs ever.

Tone is deep and rich. Highs and mids when I need them.

Compact enough to move on my own.

I think this is one of Ampeg most efficient cab designs ever.

11. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

From that pic, it's hard to tell - I'm pretty sure I remember there being cardboard tubes that extended the length of the ports past the black plastic part you can see...

- georgestrings

12. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    That cabinet always seemed to sound good with gk amps...
    I assumed you made sure all the speakers were working and wired correctly?

13. hodgy

hodgy

May 5, 2004
    Bothell, WA
    Customer Support- Ampeg/ Line 6
    The newer ones don't have tubes.

14. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

Yeah, I really like 'em - it's like a smaller version of my Mesa PH810 - although I'm an admitted Mesa fan, I prefer the SVT-410HLF over Mesa's PH410...

- georgestrings

15. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    My pictures are an slm HLN. If there are tubes, they are less than an inch long.

16. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    Agree on the G-K heads - unfortunately, I don't have my 700rb-II here, so maybe that's the difference I'm hearing...

Yeah, I checked the speakers and wiring to make sure everything is OK - thanks for the suggestion, though...

- georgestrings

17. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

Thanks for the input - maybe I'm remembering it incorrectly... I just seem to remember having to re-attach some tubes to the ports on one of the cabs I had in the past...

- georgestrings

18. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    +1 to getting the tubes back in there.

Removing them would raise the box tuning, making the bass response hump up even more than already is, bit, it could end up too high risking unloading on the low notes. Meaning the box loses control of the below tuning and they flap wildly and can go into overexcursion/mechanical damage pretty quick.

Don't know if yours ended up high enough to do that or you just haven't hit it hard enough to do damage but in any case, it's not working as designed without those tubes in there.

19. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    I just looked at the picture. I can't share it easily, but they don't have an extra tube. The port has 3 screws holding it into the baffle, then the port extends maybe another .75" into the box. They are the same length as the nampeg ports as well I think. I'd say they are correct in your box.
    96-510-04 is the driver I think.

20. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Oh. Didn't see hodgys post there either earlier.

Seems high to me just off the cuff, but maybe it works out with their choice of driver. Tuning higher would help bring in the big bottom these things are known for. Haven't heard of too many people blowing them, they seem to be able to take a crap ton of power. Just seems that it would make a high tuning at first glance.