Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SVT-410HLF verses SVT-610HLF

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Skel, Mar 6, 2006.

1. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Hi guys, I am wondering; The SVT-410HLF is an awesome sounding cabinet to many of us here, and many of us have one, me included. I was thinking about the 610HLF, and it occurred to me that I needed some clarification from some experts here; Can one think of the 610HLF as a sealed 4X10 combined with a ported 2X10? It seems that if this is the case, it gets a bit fuzzy as to whether it's more like an 8X10E, or a 410HLF, or the 2 merged together, sort of. I ask this because it seems the 610HLF might be more suited for an all tube head (which I am currently after), since a big portion of the cab is what amounts to half of an 8X10E.

Thoughts?

Skel

2. I think that the 610HLF is just a louder 410HLF. Not really sure though. :meh:

3. Vorak

Vorak

Dec 6, 2005
    Madison, WI
  4. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    No. Because it is a ported 6x10". None of the woofers are operating in sealed enclosures, they all share the same large tuned ported enclosure.

Alex

5. alexclaber

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Noooooooo! Stop continuing this misinformation. The 610HLF has reinforcing baffles to strengthen the enclosure but they do not divide the airspace. It is a conventional ported 6x10" cab.

Alex

6. marthasvinyard

marthasvinyard

Feb 28, 2006

Actualy they do. I have gotton this info from Ampeg as well as an owner that looked inside his. It is a upper 4x10 sealed and lower 2x10 ported. Look at the tech diags.

7. Vorak

Vorak

Dec 6, 2005
    Madison, WI
    Well my impression from the diagram off of Ampeg's site was that four of the speakers were sealed and two were ported. Apparently Skel got that impression too. It does make more sense though to have all six speakers share the same airspace. My bad.

8. Vorak

Vorak

Dec 6, 2005
    Madison, WI
    Ok so we are right? haha

9. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Well, to be clear, this isn't meant to be an "I'm right and you were wrong" thing - I just want to understand the truth about the cab.

And thanks to all who have commented (so far).

Skel

10. marthasvinyard

marthasvinyard

Feb 28, 2006

Hold on a second. I have just gotton off the phone with another Ampeg person that says all CURRENT 610hlf's are fully ported. He is emailing me updated pictures as well will update site.

alexclaber it seems you are correct sir.

11. marthasvinyard

marthasvinyard

Feb 28, 2006
    No...I just want the right information for future discussion as well. And as far as specs go...the 410hlf goes lower than the 610hlf and both put out equal spl. This according to Ampegs own data.

12. alexclaber

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    You can't go changing the alignment of a cab without serious repercussions. Based on my cab design knowledge I could see absolutely zero reason why Ampeg would combine a sealed and ported cabinet in one and use the same speakers in it. I dread to think what awful effects it would have on low frequency phase response and power handling. Furthermore, there is no way you would put that much port area and volume on a 2x10" enclosure - you don't need half that much area to keep the air speed low and such a huge air mass in the ports compared to the small 2x10" enclosure volume would tune the cab far lower than is sensible.

I PM'd Jerrold Tiers about this because I was tired of everyone that didn't have a clue about speaker cab design telling me that the Ampeg picture showed the cab being divided into sealed and ported portions. And he confirmed that:

"It's actually all one vented enclosure.

There are in fact internal pieces between the pairs of speakers. But both internal "separators" are just supports, they have holes in them which join all the compartments."

If the SPL is quoted at 1kHz as is unfortunately the standard, then the extra tens would barely be 'seen' by the reference mic at 1m, so the SPL could easily be quoted as the same.

If the 6x10" is tuned to a higher frequency than the 4x10" then that would explain the difference in low frequency response claims (keeping the same port sizes would cause the tuning frequency to be raised by about a 4th when enlarging the enclosure from a 4x10" to a 6x10").

But all else being equal, the 6x10" will have more output where it counts, for most bassists.

Alex

13. Daywalker

Daywalker

Apr 13, 2005
    SOCAL
    It's a lot louder, and slightly less rumbly than the 410HLF. I owned an SVT-3Pro with the 410HLF before I upgraded to the 610HLF. The 610HLF has lots of bottom, but it's not ALL bottom like the 410HLF. They both sound great, but the 610HLF is more well rounded of a cab. And believe it or not, the two tens at the bottom are ported, the other 4 10s are not...

14. marthasvinyard

marthasvinyard

Feb 28, 2006

Absoulty correct..and I thank you and "Bob" at Ampeg for sending me the complete diags for this bottom. The web site shows a solid seperator and that is not the case. It is a fully ported bottom. If anyone wants the compleete spec diags and such...pm me you email...I will send you the file.

15. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    So, is this right or wrong? It looks like from Jerrold's quote that this is incorrect.

Skel

16. marthasvinyard

marthasvinyard

Feb 28, 2006
    A 610hlf bottom has two seperator pieces of wood, both with BIG holes in them....making this bottom fully ported. Jerrold is right.

17. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Ok. So, I would be correct in saying that this is a 410HLF with 2 additional drivers, and tuned a little different. Nevermind what it *looks* like.

Skel

18. marthasvinyard

marthasvinyard

Feb 28, 2006
    Exactly!

19. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Great...a thread with a definitive ending! Thanks to all who posted.

Skel

20. marthasvinyard

marthasvinyard

Feb 28, 2006

I thank you and the others....finnaly I know the 610hlf is a fully ported cab....:cool: